Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently bought this printer as a replacement for a Photosmart 5200.

The Photosmart used to have a print option to print booklets, so that rather than just double sided duplex, two pages would be printed on each side that would allow them to be folded in half and used as a true booklet. (so the first paper page would have the first and last document page, the other side of the first paper page would have the second and second from last page etc).

However the new printer does not seem to have this option any longer.

It was great for long documents and it made them easy to manipulate as it could be read like a normal book and stapled in the middle

I have tried all of the duplex options but all these do is put more than one page onto one side of the paper.

Is there any way to achieve this? It is disappointing that older printers had a facility that newer printers do not.

Ian

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @ismoore,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues in printing format for a 4-page booklet. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

In order to have this feature, you need to have the full feature software installed for this printer. If you have the full feature software installed, 

please follow the steps mentioned below and check:

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printer.
  • Right-click on Officejet 8600 and select “Printer properties”.
  • Select the “Device settings” tab.
  • Ensure that the “Duplex unit” is set to “Installed” rather than “Not installed” and save the settings.
  • Now again give a right-click on the printer icon and select “Printing preferences”.
  • If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided (Duplex) Printing" option.
  • If “Printing shortcut” is not available, click the “Layout”, “Features”, or “Finishing tab”, depending on which tab displays in your driver version.
  • Locate the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

For more details, please follow this link.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi
Thank you for the response. However first you mention the instructions for a different printer.
I have the full software installed, but as my post explains it doesn't offer the options I had with a much older hp. This is very annoying.
It mentions portrait booklet mode but the old driver offered two pages per side, and ordered to allow folding. The new one does not.
HP Recommended

Hi @ismoore

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to check the step 4 in the below document and see if it helps.

http://hp.care/2ox9sAh

If the issue persists, uninstall the driver from Print server properties then reinstall the driver.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi
I need to fully explain what used to happen.
My hp photosmart used to have a printer driver mode called booklet.
Unlike the link you are showing me, this would turn the document into a foldable book.

To explain, if I printed a 12 page document, it would reduce each page by 50% and take only three pieces of paper. But it would do it in such a way that I could fold it in half and staple it in the middle and it would read like a book.

So in the above example, the first sheet would have page 12 & page 1 on one side and page 2 & 11 on the other side. The next sheet pages 10/3 & 4/9 and the third sheet 8/5 & 6/7.

If I choose duplex printing, booklet (as shown in your link as long sided) and 2 pages per side, it prints pages 1&2 on one side, then pages 3&4 on the other etc. If I fold it in half then it no longer works as if it were a book

How can I achieve what used to work?
HP Recommended

Hi @ismoore,

Thanks for the update,

I understand you are having this issue even after installing the full feature software, I would suggest you could try to install alternate drivers for your printer using this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is a Envy 4520

There are no alternative drivers suggested.

Any other advice?

HP Recommended

Hi @ismoore,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad you pointed out that as I might have overlooked at it, however, you have already tried the steps suggested from the previous post and still having the issue, I would suggest you give us 72 hours so that we can research on this and get back to with more information.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @ismoore,

Thank you for replying,

I understand there are no alternate drivers listed for your printer, however you can go ahead and use DeskJet 9800 as an alternate drivers for your printer and this should help you resolve this issue,

Please follow the steps suggested in the previous post and do let me know how it goes for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.