Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
If I use tray 1 for envelopes, how do I get the printer to ALWAYS print plain paper from tray 2? I have tray 2 set as the default, but sometimes it prints onto the envelopes anyway. You would think it should be able to tell that there is a size mismatch.
HP Recommended

Load envelope on tray 1 and go to the front panel and select "Tray Lock=tray1". In this case only when you select to print to Tray1, the printer will pick up media from tray1.  And remember to set defulat tray to tray 2, so whenever you print from application to Letter size media, it will pick from Tray2 automatcially.

Hope this help.

Although I am HP Employee
I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below if the information is helpful !
HP Recommended

I was searching for a solution to this problem and gave up - there didn't seem to be a simple solution to printing 1 envolope from Word 2010 without removing the paper and all that hassle.

I thought 'bugger it' - lets try anyway ...... so pulled the tray open a bit, slotted an envelope face down on top of the paper in the tray at the right hand side, shoved it till it stopped .... pushed the tray back in and tried printing an envelope - BINGO

It worked - no problem !!

HP Recommended

Hmmmm! Yes ... ! It sort of works ....

(I have two trays installed, and I've "locked" my Tray 1 for use only with special papers and with envelopes.  My software suite is OpenOffice.org, not Microsoft Word, which might be relevant for anyone else trying this experiment.)

I tried what you proposed GLPRIDE, and indeed my OfficeJet 8600 picked up the single envelope - from the correct tray - and it left my existing stack of 'special' paper on which I'd laid the single envelope in that tray un-dsturbed!  Impressive!!

This would have been a wonderful and remarkable revelation if it had worked without any flaws, but  ... I wasn't surprised that - with the envelope laid against the right-hand edge of the tray as you suggested - the main address was printed in completely the wrong place on the envelope, and the small-font logo that I print near the top-left corner of my envelopes was (not surprisingly) missed completely.

OK, I do suspect that if I had placed the envelope in the approximate middle of my Tray (in other words in an un-'guided' position on top of my existing paper-stock) that it would still have been picked up successfully and printed-upon - but I do care a lot about my envelopes looking consistently "good", so I don't fancy gambling with getting the correct envelope-placement by my eyeball-guided hand every time.

So yes, thank you GLPRIDE. This was a lovely and tantalising idea, and I'll salute HP for designing this much apparent "paper-stock flexibility" into this printer's pick-up mechanism, but it's too much of a "fingers crossed" exercise for my liking, and I doubt that HP would officially endorse this if (perhaps) it provoked paper-jams in some circumstances.

AFAIK I can't tell my OpenOffice.org suite to offset the position of where it prints the addresses on my envelopes, but if Microsoft Word can be persuaded to print onto an off-set envelope then this could be a huge time-saver for Word users ... and something of a relief for HP, given the weight of unhappy opinion and ire poured into this Forum Topic so far!!

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.
HP Recommended

Sorry it didn't work for you ... I was using Word 2010 .... and the address was printed perfectly in the right place.... 

I have tried a few times since - and noted that when selecting the address block with the cursor in the word document, this opens the mailing address dialogue box, if i pressed print while the taxt was still highlighted (in blue) ... nothing printed.

But is i did the same action, but just clicked the address (in the dialogue box), the blue overlay turned normal write, then press print - the envelope prints perfectly.   (Ihope the additional info didn't further confuse !).

But i've tried it about 10 times tonight - and all printed the address perfectly (although on one occassion i put the envelope in quickly - and it came out slightly squeed, at an angle).

?But as long as you put the envelope on top of the paper, to the right side, and firmly at the front of the tray .... it seems fine.

Works for me without changing any settings in either WORD or the Printer settings.

Roy

HP Recommended

Thanks for this feedback Roy.

I've been postponing an upgrade of my OpenOffice software for a while (from OO.org version 3.4.1 to Apache's newer OO.org version 4.0.1) and I now look forward to checking whether it has caught-up with Word in its envelope printing abilities!

This is (for me) a very exciting prospect  :generic:

Thanks again for bringing this insight to us, and frankly, I'm amazed that HP has (it seems) completely missed an opportunity to quell this torrent of (justified) gripes and hair-pulling, by discovering this very handy ploy for themselves ... at least for Microsoft Word users!

Colin P.

--
HP Recommended

How do you change the settings for middle feed?  I have removed my paper from the tray, replaced it with envelopes and adjusted the guides.  I am trying to print envelopes from my contact list on my mac and have selected the dimensions of the envelope in the print menu but I keep getting a message that says wrong paper size.

HP Recommended

Colin (or anybody else who knows), How exactly did you (do you) dedicate the extra tray for envelope printing? I've been trying everything with the "print options" but to  no avail. Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Sweetpea3779, Did you ever figure this out? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello Steve,

Here are the steps I followed to make my Tray 2 (namely the lower one of my two trays) become the default tray for routine print jobs ... and to lock my Tray 1 so that the printer hereafter expects that Tray 1 will hold only envelopes or some other special paper-types.

This note assumes that your printer's Control Panel is identical to mine of course :TongueOut:  The Control Panel on later editions of this OfficeJet 8600 printer, or even those on non-UK versions of the printer, could have subtle differences, but the scheme in general should still apply.

My exact printer model is an OfficeJet Pro N911g - Product Number CM750A - Firmware version CLP1CN1304AR.

These notes are paraphrased from Page 33 in my Officejet Pro 8600 User Guide - (HP doc "c03026243.pdf").

To Lock an installed Tray

Step 1. With the printer turned on (of course!) ... on the printer's Control Panel ...

Step 2a. Touch the right arrow
Step 2b. Touch 'Setup'
Step 2c. Touch 'Preferences'

Step 3a. Scroll the menu items until 'Default Tray'  appears ...
Step 3b. ... then select 'Tray Lock'.

Step 4.  From the list of trays shown, choose 'Tray 1' (as the tray which is to be locked).

Now, when you've 'returned' out of the Setup Menu, your printer should now ignore Tray 1 for routine printing, and it will (or it should!) only use this locked Tray 1 on occasions when your printer driver (software) is commanded to use it for specific "paper types" ... including envelopes.

Hope this helps.

Colin P.

--
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.