Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone.

I need help with my printer. Sorry but I'm not English mother tongue so I hope that you can understand everything.

I have Windows 8 and a HP deskjet 2540 printer.

The problem is that when it's printing it suddenly stops to print. But if I try to print the single pages it prints again.

When it stops there is nothing in print queue like if it have print all.

Usually it happens with PDF file. 

I tried to search on hp support page and I followed the instructions about deactivate the printer spooler because maybe can give problem during the printing, I did it but when I tried to print again the computer give me a message like this "if you want to print you need to install a printer" but the printer is not uninstalled its status is "ready to print".

Can you please help me? Because I can't understand and it's not the first time that the printer give me problem during the printing.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English 🙂

Viviana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ViviHika

You are welcome.

Unless you disable the Print Spooler service, it will restart itself when you next boot / restart the computer.  In almost every case, this is a good thing.

You can find the Startup type control:

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >

Services Opens >> Scroll down, find Print Spooler > Right-Click on Print Spooler >

Properties Opens >> at Startup type: > Select from menu:

• Automatic
  • Automatic (Delayed Start)
  • Manual
  • Disabled

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can, if you wish, edit the options in Print Spooler > Properties > Recovery tab

One of the more interesting Print Recovery options:  Restart the Computer

• Restart the computer can be initiated at the first, second, or subsequent failure point.

"Restart the computer" (without the clearing of the PRINTERS folder) can be used to stop and then (at boot) restart the spooler.  The reboot procedure might allow "stuck" print jobs to resume printing. 

The "Restart the computer" option might be useful in a situation printing is a main function of the computer and / or the printer is expected to run unattended / outside of normal business hours.

When you set up the "Restart Computer" option, you can enable "actions for stops with errors".  For example, you can send a message to computers on the network indicating the computer will be rebooted within a certain time frame.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ViviHika

Some ideas

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPG Do keep the print spooler in a "running" condition.

The following video explains the procedure to restart the print spooler:

Restarting the Print Spooler in Windows 8

and

If there are stuck jobs, jobs that will not cancel, or odd failures that do not generate particular error messages, you may want to remove the files from PRINTERS as well as restart the print spool service.

Restart services

Cancel Print Jobs in the Printer Queue

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGIf you have not already done so, ensure your Adobe Reader DC is at the latest version.

Update / Install Adobe Reader DC even if you do not use the program directly -- print software likes Adobe Reader.

At this writing, there has been news that you should immediately update your Adobe Flash due to a security issue.  Although perhaps not directly related to this issue, it is important that you are running the latest version of Adobe Flash.

Before you install / update any software or make changes, do create a Restore Point.

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Section(s):

• Adobe Reader DC
  • Adobe Flash

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGYou can create a restore point > remove printer programs > reboot > install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software (printer program) > reboot

Your Printer: HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

File name: DJ2540_188.exe

Release details

Released: Nov 12, 2015

Version 32.2

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

NOTE: If the computer has been recently migrated to Windows 10 or if you need to re-install the printer software:

1. Create a Restore Point >
  2. Download a fresh copy of the Full Feature software >
  3. Remove the existing printer software from Programs and Features / Apps and Features >
  4. Restart the computer and log in >
  5. Install Full Feature Software >
  6. Reboot

Section(s) of interest include:

• Preparation
  • Extras and Optional > HP Information, Diagnostics, and Installation Help
  • The Windows 10 Printer Frenzy (includes link to TCP/IP Port setup)
  • Restart Everything
  • Download and Installation
  • Remove Printer Software
  • See who and what is on your network

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you very much for your help!!!

Really sorry for my late reply! 😞

Maybe I understand what the problem is thanks to you, because I stopped the spooler, emptied the file printers but after I didn't restart the spooler, maybe was only this.

Today I will try and I'll let you know if I'll solve the problem!

Thank you again!! 🙂 🙂 

HP Recommended

@ViviHika

You are welcome.

Unless you disable the Print Spooler service, it will restart itself when you next boot / restart the computer.  In almost every case, this is a good thing.

You can find the Startup type control:

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >

Services Opens >> Scroll down, find Print Spooler > Right-Click on Print Spooler >

Properties Opens >> at Startup type: > Select from menu:

• Automatic
  • Automatic (Delayed Start)
  • Manual
  • Disabled

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can, if you wish, edit the options in Print Spooler > Properties > Recovery tab

One of the more interesting Print Recovery options:  Restart the Computer

• Restart the computer can be initiated at the first, second, or subsequent failure point.

"Restart the computer" (without the clearing of the PRINTERS folder) can be used to stop and then (at boot) restart the spooler.  The reboot procedure might allow "stuck" print jobs to resume printing. 

The "Restart the computer" option might be useful in a situation printing is a main function of the computer and / or the printer is expected to run unattended / outside of normal business hours.

When you set up the "Restart Computer" option, you can enable "actions for stops with errors".  For example, you can send a message to computers on the network indicating the computer will be rebooted within a certain time frame.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi! 

I understand! Than you very much for you precious help! ☺

I solved my problem and now I can print again! 

Thank you again! 

Bye! 

HP Recommended

@ViviHika

Glad to hear you're back in business!

Kudos to @Dragon-Fur

🙂

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.