04-28-2013 10:48 AM
I have tried at least 10 times to install my HP LaserJet 1536dnf MFP. I have followed instructions on this board and others to no avail. The same problem continues to occur. The install program prompts me to connect the computer, the program takes 10 minutes to read the connection, and then it quits with the following message:
"An install operation took too long to execute. This is a fatal error preventing product use.
Please restart your computer, and run the installer again. If the problem persists, please check the product support web site for your product."
Windows Vista 32 bit (meets all minimum qualifications specified)
USB Connection (cannot do network connection)
Printer has worked on other computers. In fact, it was previously installed on the one I'm trying to install it on now with no issues.
P.S. This thread has been moved from Laserjet to Multifunction and All-in-One - HP Forums Moderator
05-08-2013 03:11 PM
It's likely that something has a higher precidence and is getting the plug and play event before the driver. I would run the print/scan doctor found on the software download page under utility and diagnostics tools.
You probably should make sure that there are no remnant drivers still on the system for the printer and make sure it's fully un-installed. I would highly recommend downloading a fresh descrete driver solution (not universal print driver PCL5, PCL6 or postscript).
05-09-2013 12:35 AM
Steps To perform:
- Open the Device manager.
- Check for “USB Mass Storages Device ” under Universal Serial Bus Controller
And also check inside my computer (XP) or Computer (Vista, Win7) folder for “CD Driver. HP Smart Install”
- If it is there, Unplug the USB cable from the computer
- From the Printer Menu – Turn Off the “ HP SMART INSTALL”(By going to Service Menu of the Printer)
- Reconnected the USB cable to the computer. Now we should find the “USB printing Support “ listed under Universal Serial Bus Controller
Now install the normal way of driver installation – it should Work
I work for HP.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)