Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have a similar (but not identical) problem with Print & Scan Doc (or at least, the symptoms of the problem show up there).

My OJ 8610 AIO printer is installed wirelessly and has a router assigned IP address xxx.xxx.x.131. However, there is another IP address for the same printer (also showing as installed) as xxx.xxx.x.107.  Curiously, the icon for the printer associated with 107 shows as a "generic" image, rather than a picture of an OJ 8610 - see image. printer.JPG

Because of problems with the printer registering as offline, I had assigned a fixed IP of 107 to the printer. However, I have since reinstalled all the HP software for the printer, including the diagnostic software and reverted to a router assigned IP address (now 131).

Only one printer shows in "Devices and Printers" and this has the correct 131 IP address.

I still have intermittent issues with the printer dropping off-line and I wondered if there is an outstanding conflict with the "phantom" 107 printer.

I would appreciate any ideas for deleting the phantom printer.

Many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Please Uninstall and Reinstall the FULL feature software following these steps:

1. Uninstall the software in your computer

After installing, remove any instances of teh printer from the "Devices and Printers".

2. Download and save the FULL feature software (do not install it online)

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

3. Install the FULL feature “Saved” software

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

If you are not sure how to do this, the following resource will walk you through the steps:

How to Uninstall Download & Reinstall a Printer software

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks greenturtle. Sorry for the delayed reply - I had to wait for this weekend to have a go at the reinstall.

Anyway, I have uninstalled all software, deleted the printer from "printers", reset my router, printer and pc before reinstalling from a downloaded copy of the software.

Sadly, I still have my "phantom" printer with IP address 107 (see below) and the real printer still goes offline intermittently when the only solution seems to be delete and reinstall the printer. Quite a chore.

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

printers.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @TheAtheling

Can you go to your router settings and "release" the phanton ending with the .107 (Static IP addres)? 

Along the same line, if you can assign a Static IP address to your printer, that should help to mitigate the Offline issues as well.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hi greenturtle.

The .107 IP address is a legacy of when I did have the printer set up as a static IP. The router does not show any device attached to that IP - so nothing to release.

The only  place that the phantom printer appears is in HP Print & Scan Doctor, where it sees it as an installed printer. It is not in Window Printers & Devices or anywhere else I can find.

My concern is that, somewhere, this is causing a conflict (and hece causing the real printer to drop offline).

I could set another fixed IP for the printer, but I am just a bit concerned that it will worsen the situation.

I wonder if there is some way of forcing an uninstall of the  phantom.

Thnanks for all your help.

TA

HP Recommended

Hi @TheAtheling,

Can you ensure the following:

Install Windows update KB3147458 (Windows 10 only)

Microsoft released a cumulative update for Windows 10 that helps improve discoverability of printers when a device resumes from sleep mode. This update can help prevent occurrences of your printer going offline, especially for wireless connections.
Search Windows for Windows Update, and then click Windows Update in the list of results.
Click Check Updates to make sure all critical and important Windows updates are up to date.

NOTE: To manually download the update, go to KB3147458 on Microsoft’s website Non-HP site (in English).
Restart the computer, and then try to print again.

If you can print, the printer is online again

Else, can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

Hope that helps!

PS: Setting the Static IP address would be a better option eventually since it will always look for the printer in that "address".  Be sure to set it within the IP address range that the router assigns. Preferably something that the router would not use - e.g. the last few IP addresses

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.