Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just 3 sets of HP 300/HP 300XL catridges from UK with the hope of using it in my printer HP Deskjet F2483.  Unfortunately when I put in the catridges all the lights started blinking.  A further search indicated that a regionalization code reset is required.   I called HP US and HP Kenya for a solution.  They could not fix the problem and were looking for something else.  Any Idea how the regionalization code reset is done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@belize004 wrote:

I am helping a student in high school with attaching a printer to her laptop.  She has a Deskjet 2000 and the cartridge that came with the printer is 122 but the cartridge available in Belize is 61.  Installing the cartridge and trying to print a test page gives me a message (incompatible cartridge).  After some research, I need to have a 'regionalization reset'.  Called Customer support in US, and after 4 transfers and over an hour got cut off.  All they did was to take the information.  Can I have someone to talk to who know what needs to be done?  

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.  

Only a limited number of agents are trained for the regionalization reset, you will need to ask to speak to an agent with the proper training.

Did you get a case ID?  This would be a long number probably stating with 8.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
HP Recommended

What country do you live in?  What country was the printer purchased in?  If you purchased the printer in the UK and moved to the US or Kenya you will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The link says that if your printer OR your cartridges are under warranty, HP support will talk you thru the region code change. However, I've tried twice and HP support says my printer is obsolete and they have no documentation on it.

Have you heard of this before? My printer is a few years old, sure, but it works just fine. They said printers four years old are obsolete and no further support is offered. BUT - the cartridges are brand new! Shouldn't they be covered?

HP Recommended

@a_bah_boy wrote:

The link says that if your printer OR your cartridges are under warranty, HP support will talk you thru the region code change. However, I've tried twice and HP support says my printer is obsolete and they have no documentation on it.

Have you heard of this before? My printer is a few years old, sure, but it works just fine. They said printers four years old are obsolete and no further support is offered. BUT - the cartridges are brand new! Shouldn't they be covered? 

What printer model?  What country did you purchase the printer in and where are you now?  Did you call or use email/chat to contact HP support?  If you called do you have a case number?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Its a Deskjet 5440 which I bought in the US. I now live in Bahrain. I called twice. The first time I specifically asked for a ticket number, case number etc and was told there wasn't one. The second time I didn't have a chance as I got disconnected half an hour into the call.

Most frustrating is that neither tech seemed to have a clue what I was talking about. I know exactly what's needed- I've done the research-but they kept putting me on hold to look things up. It doesn't feel good that I know more than them and I'm not an IT professional! But I guess neither are they. 🙂
HP Recommended

@a_bah_boy wrote:
Its a Deskjet 5440 which I bought in the US. I now live in Bahrain. I called twice. The first time I specifically asked for a ticket number, case number etc and was told there wasn't one. The second time I didn't have a chance as I got disconnected half an hour into the call. [snip]

I may be able to escalate this for you, I will send you a PM asking for some further details.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Sent: 03-03-2012 12:01 PM

I am having a situation which is a duplicate of one you posted about and helped solve.

I have a US bought HP DeskJet 5400, and I am now located in Bahrain. I have been trying to get HP support to change the region code and I keep getting told that the printer is "obsolete" and they have no support availabile. I have explained that the printer is out of warranty, but the CARTRIDGES are in warranty and could they please help me. All I need is to change the region code, it is well documented on HP websites... no luck. I've spent 1 hour on the phone and talked to 2 different people. It shouldn't be this hard! All I need is to change the region code and I'll be off to the races.

Anything you can do to help would be GREATLY appreciated. The printer works fine, there is no reason to buy another.

thank you kindly,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

You need to contact technical support and have them reset the region on the printer.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I too bought an all in one printer/copier/scanner in Dubai, I managed to get through to HP who were very helpful unfortunately I was unable to get the hidden menu to appear on the printer so there was nothing HP could do. So I am not left with a printer which cannot be used as I can't get the menu to come up so the region can be changed.  So annoying, I had no idea the product would be regionalised otherwise I would never have bought it in Dubai I would have waited until I had moved back to the UK.  What a waste of money!

If anyone can help at all I'd really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Hi tinahammond211,

You will need to contact support to have the printer reset. Below is the support contact information you will need to call.

In-Warranty & Out-of-Warranty
or maintenance kit replacement
0845 161 0030
Our line is now voice activated.
For more info "click here"

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I am helping a student in high school with attaching a printer to her laptop.  She has a Deskjet 2000 and the cartridge that came with the printer is 122 but the cartridge available in Belize is 61.  Installing the cartridge and trying to print a test page gives me a message (incompatible cartridge).  After some research, I need to have a 'regionalization reset'.  Called Customer support in US, and after 4 transfers and over an hour got cut off.  All they did was to take the information.  Can I have someone to talk to who know what needs to be done?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.