Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here's an alternative that is really quick (I have an HP Photosmart C7200):

Solution

1. Go to your printer. 
  2. Obtain the IP address of the printer as follows:
    1. Press Setup button.
    2. Select “network”, press ok.
    3. Select “view network settings”, press ok.
    4. Select “display wireless summary”, press ok.
    5. IP Address will show – write this number down.
  3. Go to your computer.
  4. Go to control panel – hardware and sound – printers.
  5. Right click on the printer icon. 
  6. Select properties.
  7. Select ports.
  8. Go to the checked item showing as “Standard TCP/IP Port” HP Photosmart C7200 series or whatever printer you own.
  9. Highlight that selection.
  10. Click on Configure Port.
  11. In the field “Printer Name or IP Address”, update the IP address to agree to the IP Address you just obtained from your printer.
  12. Click OK.
  13. Your items should now print.
  14. .  If it happens again, repeat the procedure.
  15.   Good luck!
HP Recommended

The users of the HP printers should use the following tool to setup the printer, inpw_enww.exe.  That can be found on their website  The problem with IP based printers it the use of the standard tcp/ip port.  Usingf the HP tool will add the hp tcp/ip port to the selection of port types for printers.  This is the real fix to the problem.  The other solutions appear to be hit or miss.

HP Recommended

With all due respect I think that "solution" depends on the specific problem being driver related.

I don't think I'm the only person with a printer that has problems connecting to the Network. Even the HTTP administration page and "ping" are affected.

HP Recommended

I've read all the posts, and I think my problem is different.  I have a Photosmart B9180.  It has a "feature" that it goes offline when one of the pigment cartridges is past its expiration date.  Messages say "Printer services or repairs required as a result of using expired ink will not be covered under warranty."  This printer is long past its warranty.  The cartridge has plenty of ink left and I just want to print.  I have a solution;  turn the printer off and on, then wait for it to go through its start-up print head servicing routine.  The printer comes up online and I can make one print.  Then it gives the warranty messages again and goes offline.  I get one print for each off-on cycle.  When the printer is offline, there's nothing you can do in the menus to bring it online.  I've bought plenty of $40 cartridges just to make the printer stay online, which is what HP wants, but that's not sustainable.  There must be a way to make it come online without making it go through the start-up cycle.  Has anyone solved this problem?

HP Recommended

I am trying to get the HP OFFICEJET 4500 (a G510) to connect to a Windows 7 PC on USB.

When attempting to print I receive an indication that the printer is OFFLINE.

I suspect that I may not be the only one using USB who may have this problem.

Anyone else?

HP Recommended

do

@JoJohn wrote:

I've read all the posts, and I think my problem is different.  I have a Photosmart B9180.  It has a "feature" that it goes offline when one of the pigment cartridges is past its expiration date.  Messages say "Printer services or repairs required as a result of using expired ink will not be covered under warranty."  This printer is long past its warranty.  The cartridge has plenty of ink left and I just want to print.  I have a solution;  turn the printer off and on, then wait for it to go through its start-up print head servicing routine.  The printer comes up online and I can make one print.  Then it gives the warranty messages again and goes offline.  I get one print for each off-on cycle.  When the printer is offline, there's nothing you can do in the menus to bring it online.  I've bought plenty of $40 cartridges just to make the printer stay online, which is what HP wants, but that's not sustainable.  There must be a way to make it come online without making it go through the start-up cycle.  Has anyone solved this problem?

do a reset..

while the printers ON unplugged the power adapter at the back of the printer and then the power cord plugged in on the wall outlet...

wait for 15 sec

plug the power cord on the wall outlet and then plug the other end at the back of the printer

... if this doesnt work and its an ink issue remove the ink and shake it 6 times.

ps.

whats the exact error msg? whats ink number you are using? 

don't forget to click the star 🙂
HP Recommended

The ink cartridges are number 38.  There are eight of them.  The error message is:  "The ink in the following cartridges is past its expiration date:....  Remove the expired ink or press OK for more info."  "Printer services or repairs required as a result of using expired ink will not be covered under warranty.  Press OK to continue."  After one print the printer goes offline.  As mentioned before, turning it off and on brings it online again after a long start-up procedure.  Much time is spent doing one print.  Shaking the ink cartridges does not change anything.  I believe HP has found a way to effectively disable the "set printer online" function (the Status goes to Offline, but the drop-down menu in Printers and Faxes does not show Use Printer Offline checked, so it can't be unchecked).  Someone at HP must know how this was done, and how to undo it.  It would be a service to the customers to reveal the secret so we can continue to use our printers.

HP Recommended

have you tried downloading the print diagnostic utility? as what i know the cartridge you have can acctualy by pass the expiration messages you are getting. like if dont  mind it or something. try to run the utilty so we will know what we can fix.

don't forget to click the star 🙂
HP Recommended

Gr8! I will try it. How do I know if the IP address is out of DCHP range. I have a list of ranges--Help. Before I start I want to know that I am not complicating my --your'--solution.

HP Recommended

This was really helpful for me as well. Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.