Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been noticing lately that some of the content from printed web pages is missing on the paper.  In a recent example I printed a "selection" of text from consumerreports.org and noticed intermittant text was missing.  I then printed the full page and found more of the text printed, but still a considerable amount is missing.  The text that is missing seems to be random, but full words, not individual characters.  It does not make any sense to me because a section of text will be missing from a line that otherwise prints correctly, and it will be directly below and identically formatted (to my eye) line that does print correctly.  The only things that I can think of that I am doing differently than most, are that I am changing from the default black ink only to color, and that I have two printers, so use ctrl+shift+p to start the print.

In another example, I printed pages from http://www.estatesales.net/.  Some pages printed adequately, others not so much.  This stood out because it was sometimes failing to print the street address, which is an essential piece of information if you're planning to go to an estate sale.  At first I thought they had done something wrong on the estatesales.net web site; but, I also have an Epson Stylus printer and found it had no problem printing the same materiel correctly.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello Billy_Boy, and welcome to the HP Forums.

I see you are running into missing text when you print.  I would like to try and assist today, but I do have a few questions.

-If you print from any other progam, such as Notepad or Microsoft Word, does the issue occur?

-If you print a Print Quality Diagnostic report, does the text or images have any issues?  I have included steps on printing the report:

-Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the input tray.
    -On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon (the icon looks like a wrench).
    -Touch Tools , and then touch Print Quality Report . The printer prints the test page.

-On the web pages you are printing from, is there a print icon anywhere on the page? Certain sites format in a way that

hitting CTRL-P will not gather all of the appropriate information. Those specific sites include a 'print button' that generates a printable version.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your findings. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.

I printed the diagnostic page and it came out fine.

I looked for the print button on pages that were giving problems and found them.

If I use the print button on the web site the page will print fully (thanks for the suggestion), but there are two problems.

1.  There is no option to print a "selection".  This is sometimes a significant problem.  In the case of estatesales.net, they will include many photos that will take up, sometimes, many pages I don't need.

2.  I my have printer set to use only black ink by default.  Using the web page print button gives the option to select color, but that doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hello Billy_Boy, thanks for the response.

Which internet browser are you are using to print from this site?

Thanks,

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Google Chrome Version 33.0.1750.154 m.

HP Recommended

Hi Billy_Boy, thanks for replying.

I would suggest trying to print the same page from an alternate browser, such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc. to test the options and the print output. 

Let me know how that goes for you.

Thanks,

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Google Chrome is by far the most used browser.   What is using something else going to accomplish, show that HP printers are tuned to less popular browsers?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as described above.

My printer is Photosmart c5180 and lately it often occurs that some parts of text is missing when it prints.

Full words are missing, but on the same line some other words come out fine. Sometimes lots of content is missing and other times it's just a few random words.

This happens both when I print webpages (google chrome browser) and from Microsoft Word-documents.

HP print and scan doctor says everything is working fine.

HP Recommended

Hello sisla, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I see you are having issues with the quality of your print outs.  I would love to help, but I do have a few questions first. I am linking a few HP Support documents below that will show you how to find your operating system. Also, if you're using Windows, please include whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also, does this issue occur when making a copy?

Please let me know what you find.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32-bit operating system.

No problems making copies, which I do regularly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.