Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet Pro 8630
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

We're about to travel for 18 months and want to store our printer while away.  I have the original box and ploystyrene packing, so want advice on repackaging securely - I can find help for smaller printers, but not the 8630.  Also, should I remove the ink cartridges.  Assistance would be most appreciated  John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The cartridges should be stored in the printer.  Be sure to turn the printer off from its power switch and let the printer get things "parked" before unplugging the printer.  Store the printer in a location not subject to large temperature swings.  I would not put the printer back in its original packaging,  If you do make sure you keep the printer oriented as it would be on a desk - the package has a normal orientation that has the printer on its side, this should be avoided as ink from the service area may leak out.  If the printer is going into a storage facility you may want to put it in its original package, but be sure to orient the printer "flat".

I had an extra Officejet 8600 Plus (same inks and printheads as yours) that I set up, then set aside for a full year.  I was surprised, but the first print after bringing it out of storage printed without needing any fussing at all - no manual cleaning or running cleaning cycles was needed.  I actually expected that I would need to run a few cleaning cycles from the front panel, or perhaps even remove the printhead and soak it.  I had the printer stored in a spare bedroom, out of direct sunlight and away from heat vents.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The cartridges should be stored in the printer.  Be sure to turn the printer off from its power switch and let the printer get things "parked" before unplugging the printer.  Store the printer in a location not subject to large temperature swings.  I would not put the printer back in its original packaging,  If you do make sure you keep the printer oriented as it would be on a desk - the package has a normal orientation that has the printer on its side, this should be avoided as ink from the service area may leak out.  If the printer is going into a storage facility you may want to put it in its original package, but be sure to orient the printer "flat".

I had an extra Officejet 8600 Plus (same inks and printheads as yours) that I set up, then set aside for a full year.  I was surprised, but the first print after bringing it out of storage printed without needing any fussing at all - no manual cleaning or running cleaning cycles was needed.  I actually expected that I would need to run a few cleaning cycles from the front panel, or perhaps even remove the printhead and soak it.  I had the printer stored in a spare bedroom, out of direct sunlight and away from heat vents.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your prompt response - will pack in original as I still have it all, but will mark the box very clearly to ensure the printer stays upright.  John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.