Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am trying to set up the wireless connection for my HP 3054A to my computer and router so I can print wirelessly.  I had an old HP printer set up and that wireless connection was fine but then I got a new modem from Century Link and the wireless was completely messed up.

I am running a MacBook Pro using 10.9.2  The software CD is obsolete and only runs on 10.5 and 10.6 so please don't mention following software instructions.  The software 'appears' to have downloaded from the Apple Software Update, BUT I don't have any HP folder or any set-up assistant that I can find to help.  

My modem is an ActionTec PK5000 and has a WPS button near the bottom.  I have tried connecting using the WPS button and all I get is 'WPS error' about 1/2 way through.  All I get is a flashing blue light for a wireless connection on the printer.  I am confused though because under my wifi options it lists 'HP-Setup-87-Deskjet-3050A-J611' as a sign-in option???

Ugh.

I have spent way too much time on this and thought someone here might have suggestions.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

***SOLUTION***

PLEASE NOTE: I am running OS 10.9.2 on a Macbook Pro using an Actiontec PK5000 modem from Centurylink/Qwest.  This is the solution that worked for me.  If you have a different OS or modem brand or computer - I can't speak to what will work for you.

1. You will be connecting the printer via what is called an Embedded Web Server (EWS) - not via WPS, not using a PIN or a Push Button as are the options on the printer.

2. Make sure your printer is reset to factory defaults.  To do this - press the wireless button on the printer panel and navigate to 'restore to factory defaults'.

3. Next - make sure your modem is on and your ethernet cable is connected from the modem to the computer.

4. Then - you are going to want to navigate via your browser to this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5115807&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

and select your OS as 10.8 and press next.  Under 'driver-product installation software' press the + sign and download the package to your computer.  I didn't think it would work as it says 10.8 and not 10.9 but it works just fine in the end.

5. Open the HP software package to get the HP utility, along with set-up assistant etc.

6. Run the HP installer.  

7. Before you 'add a printer' make sure you are connected in your wifi connections to a connection that identifies itself (or should) in your wifi networks as something like 'HP-Setup-XX-Deskjet 3050A J611' not the normal wifi connection you might use.  

8. Now 'add the printer'.  The computer should find the device and it should show as 'bonjour multifunction' instead of 'USB' (which is what I kept getting).

9. Now - navigate to the HP utility page and you will see different sections of information about your device. 

10. Find the section 'Printer - Additional Settings'.

11. Then you should see a box that says 'the selected printer may be configured using an embedded web server.  View printer information and configurations by pressing the button below.'

12. Press the button. 

13. This will connect you to the Embedded Web Server online.

14. When you are at the Embedded Web Server - you will see several tabs across the top of the page.  Navigate to the tab that says 'network'.

15. Then along the side - find the wireless set-up wizard.  That will walk you through connecting to the wifi network you use and setting up your printer.

16.  After you run the set-up wizard, you should be able to disconnect your ethernet cable, go back to your normal wifi that you use and hooked your printer up to and everything should be fine.

It worked for me and I hope this saves people a lot of time and runaround and that it will work for you as well.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Are you sure the WPS button on the router works?  Is the security type on the wireless WPA or WPA2 (not WEP)?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

As far as I can tell the WPS button works...is there a way to tell if it doesn't?

The security type tells me it is WPA/WP2 Personal if that helps.

Thank you for getting the ball rolling on this one!  I appreciate any and all help.

HP Recommended

having same problem with linksy modem.

HP Recommended

Let's try this first.  Press the wireless button on the front of the printer and execute a "Restore Defaults".

Next, restart the router by pulling its power plug momentarily, then try the WPS procedure again.  If that does not work, contact your ISP to see if the WPS button is functional.

If it is not, let me know and I can walk you through a much harder, but effective technique.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
My router is a netgear. B90-755044-15and no wps that I can find just WPa Blue light blinks and no white light. Worked when connected to att uverse router. Moved and now these problems
HP Recommended

Hi - can you set up your own thread with your issue please so people looking for actiontec pk5000  help with an HP3054A will not get confused? 

I am sure someone from HP will help you.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello - Thank you for your suggestions.  After spending more than an hour on the phone with Centurylink/Qwest yesterday, followed by another 20 minutes on the phone with HP customer service with neither able to help me - I finally figured it out myself and got wireless to work.

As a final post on here I will post my solution as clearly as I can, step-by-step so others with the same problem can hopefully get their set-up to work as well.  Please do not mark this as solved until I post what I did.

NOTE for others looking for help: CenturyLink/Qwest will tell you they do not and will not service HP products and that it is HP's fault your printer does not hook up.  HP will tell you the printer model is old and out of warranty and try to sell you a service plan for $29.99.  They will also tell you that if you are running OS 10.9.2 as I am on a Mac that the printer firmware will not work with Mavericks anyway so there is no way they can help you - DON"T BELIEVE THEM!  It will work, you just have to persevere.

HP Recommended

***SOLUTION***

PLEASE NOTE: I am running OS 10.9.2 on a Macbook Pro using an Actiontec PK5000 modem from Centurylink/Qwest.  This is the solution that worked for me.  If you have a different OS or modem brand or computer - I can't speak to what will work for you.

1. You will be connecting the printer via what is called an Embedded Web Server (EWS) - not via WPS, not using a PIN or a Push Button as are the options on the printer.

2. Make sure your printer is reset to factory defaults.  To do this - press the wireless button on the printer panel and navigate to 'restore to factory defaults'.

3. Next - make sure your modem is on and your ethernet cable is connected from the modem to the computer.

4. Then - you are going to want to navigate via your browser to this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5115807&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

and select your OS as 10.8 and press next.  Under 'driver-product installation software' press the + sign and download the package to your computer.  I didn't think it would work as it says 10.8 and not 10.9 but it works just fine in the end.

5. Open the HP software package to get the HP utility, along with set-up assistant etc.

6. Run the HP installer.  

7. Before you 'add a printer' make sure you are connected in your wifi connections to a connection that identifies itself (or should) in your wifi networks as something like 'HP-Setup-XX-Deskjet 3050A J611' not the normal wifi connection you might use.  

8. Now 'add the printer'.  The computer should find the device and it should show as 'bonjour multifunction' instead of 'USB' (which is what I kept getting).

9. Now - navigate to the HP utility page and you will see different sections of information about your device. 

10. Find the section 'Printer - Additional Settings'.

11. Then you should see a box that says 'the selected printer may be configured using an embedded web server.  View printer information and configurations by pressing the button below.'

12. Press the button. 

13. This will connect you to the Embedded Web Server online.

14. When you are at the Embedded Web Server - you will see several tabs across the top of the page.  Navigate to the tab that says 'network'.

15. Then along the side - find the wireless set-up wizard.  That will walk you through connecting to the wifi network you use and setting up your printer.

16.  After you run the set-up wizard, you should be able to disconnect your ethernet cable, go back to your normal wifi that you use and hooked your printer up to and everything should be fine.

It worked for me and I hope this saves people a lot of time and runaround and that it will work for you as well.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Yup, that is the more difficult, but effective method I was going to walk you through.  Thanks for posting it.

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.