Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830e
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

How do I turn OFF the duplex printing? I many times do NOT want duplex printing and only one one side per page. I use an iMac 10.10 and have an HP Officejet 6830e All-in -One

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,
Follow these steps to disable two sided printing:

Open the file you would like to print. From the File menu select Print. The Print window appears.

NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the Show Details button to see all available settings.

Click the settings drop down, it will usually appear as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Off.

You may save the settings as a preset by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

By doing so and completing the print job these settings will remain default till another preset will be used in the future.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,
Follow these steps to disable two sided printing:

Open the file you would like to print. From the File menu select Print. The Print window appears.

NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the Show Details button to see all available settings.

Click the settings drop down, it will usually appear as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Off.

You may save the settings as a preset by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

By doing so and completing the print job these settings will remain default till another preset will be used in the future.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. It worked fine.

HP Recommended

After hours of research and reading customer reviews, I finally purchased the 8620 OfficeJet Pro. Now, I've spent countless hours trying to turn duplex printing off. When I air print from my tablet and iPhone, I have the option to choose single- or double-sided documents, but not on my laptop (MacBook Pro), where I do most of my important work. It's like a rouge device, sometimes offering me an option to print single-sided and other times just duplexing to beat the band. I downloaded the current version of the printer software from the web as directed. I've read all the posts on this issue and agree with a few individuals who state the buttons and areas to shut this auto duplex off don't exist on the Mac. Why does HP make this so hard? It would be nice if one could set preferences as part of the installation software. Please tell me how to turn duplex off.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem with the two-sided printing default.  I have made every recommended change that I can.  I do not want double sided printing, and have now wasted a lot of ink, paper and time trying to fix.  Is there a fix if you are using a MacBookPro?

HP Recommended

I have spent the same frustrating hours trying to do single-page printing from my macbook pro through the HP ENVY 5540. My mobile devices provide all the options and work well. My main workstation appears stuck in duplex even when the settings show that two-sided is off. If anyone can help please let me know, thanks, Tom

HP Recommended

Strangely enough I was working in either 'Finder' (which opened docs in Word) or directly from Word, and couldn't solve the one-sided problem. I opened a multi-page doc in iPages for Mac and hit 'file-print' and there was my choice - click the checkmark on two-sided and that was it. So, I believe the issue 'two-sided-printing-only' lies with the wordprocessor not the OS or the printer. Hope this helps the Mac users.

HP Recommended

Found more. Okay, so you want to use Word for Mac and not iPages: when you open a file in Word and want to print, you can't get one-sided printing - so, when you are ready to print your Word file, go to system preferences, printer, and then select 'open print queue'. Then, close your file, hit 'open files' and drag your multi-page file into the queue and it will print single-sided.

Best way I've found, especially for multiple-file printing: open Finder, open Print Queue, select the file(s) you want to print using Command Key (i've done 60 at once) and drag them into the queue.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Sorry, the post above about Word and dragging files into the printer queue is not reliable. I've been bouncing between two books to be published, hundreds of files and two printers. 

On my Macbook Pro and my HP ENVY 5540 I use iPages where I can select one- or two-sided printing directly from the,file-print' box. This is the only word processing software I have that will do this.

HP Recommended

Greetings @golftomj,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that the only software that allows to you print one or two sided is iPages, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Are you facing any print or copy quality issues with your printer?

Have you installed the full feature software of the printer on your MAC?

May I know the version of MAC installed on your computer?

The option to select one or two sided printing is hidden in the print settings of the application you use for printing. 

Request you refer to this HP Article for assistance in expanding the print settings and print one or two sided. 

If you are unable to find the option in some of the applications, I would recommend you uninstall the printer by following the procedure suggested in the article below. 

Reset the printing system. 

Restart your MAC, visit www.hp.com/drivers and enter the printer model. 

Download and install the latest full feature software to resolve the issue you are facing. 

Have the printer disconnected from the computer during the uninstallation of the printer software.

HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)

Once you have uninstalled the printer software, reset the printing system.

HP Printers - Resetting the Printing System (Mac)

Restart your MAC.

Visit www.hp.com/drivers and enter the printer model. 

Download and install the latest full feature software for your printer. 

This should resolve the issue you are facing.

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.