Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I have a HP All in one printer F4580..It was working fine wirelessly two days ago, i tried to print something today and it wouldn't let me.  So reinstalled the printer and it couldn't find my the PC's IP Addresses.  when i try and link it to my network it says the network key does not match.  It says that i have two different IP Addresses and i don't know how that happened and why the printer does not link on to my PC's IP Address.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Well first, IP addresses are issued by your router.  Each device on your network needs a unique one.  So you do not want to have the printer associated (meaning: the same) with your PC's IP address.

Download and install this utility to find out more.

In the mean time tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

No i want my printer to use the same network my PC is on....but for some reason its not letting me, i've entered in the right producy key but it keeps coming up wih the following message

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer.

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.54.208, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.101 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry.

i'm on Virgin, its a linksys  WRT54GS Router , the encruption typ is WEP the ISP is a Cable modem

HP Recommended

OK, I better understand what is going on.  The 169.254... IP address is an IP address the printer assigns for itself it it is not associated with a router.  So, your printer is not connected to your router.

First, and perhaps the root problem, WEP is not at all secure.  It can be broken in less than 10 minutes with freeware from the internet.  Change your security to WPA or WPA2 and create a strong 13+ character passphrase (numbers and letters, upper and lower case).

Once you change to WPA your problems will probably go away and you will have a simpler password (one that you make up) and a more secure system.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my Officejet 6500 .... Wireless was working fine until Sunday and then all of a sudden I no longer had wireless printing capabilities.   It says the same thing .... and I am using the WPA security.  I have tried turning off the printer and then turning it back on .... my desktop PC still works fine on wireless ... so I'm confused.

HP Recommended

I've found when my printer stops working, I have to check the IP address.

I have a problematic router which requires me to reboot it now and then, and every time it's restarted, the IP address of the printer changes. (I've tried making it static but it won't stick)

The IP address can be found on the printer screen. Usually it's just the last number that changes. Go into printer properties, find the port and reconfigure it to the right IP address.

This may help humber_family; not sure about the original poster though. That requires getting the printer to find the network first. (Another fun job - nothing is simple and straightforward with HP printers it seems)

HP Recommended

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I just bought an HP wireless printer and 2 HP PCs-not wireless.

I cannot get the PC to recognize the printer wirelessly. The printer has the blue light on and the screen states connected then when I try to load the CD for wireless on the PC, it stated limited connectivity. The printer IP address is 192. etc and the computer is 10. etc.

Please help as I tried for hours, installing and then uninstalling the printer CD. The printer page  and states all is good.

Thank you

HP Recommended

It sounds like the printer and PC are on different networks.  Is the printer connected to a neighbor's wireless network by mistake?  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer to find out what network it is connected to.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Yes they are. the printout for the wireless printer does state my name in ssid with an IP addrss of 192.168.1.1

The computer IP address is 10.1.10.12. Perhaps the computer is on the wrong network as it is not wireless.

any thoughts of what I can do to get the computer to accept the wireless printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.