Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I recently bought a used Officejet Pro 8600 and I am unable to set it up to my home network.  When I go to set up -> network -> wireless setup wizard (and all the options in the network menu, and many others) I get a message that says "this feature has been locked by your system administrator or the person who set up the printer."  

Please help.  How do I get around this and unlock all the menu items that are locked?

Thanks a milion,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello derekd01,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're unable to connect the Officejet 8600 wireless because you're receiving a message "This feature has been locked by your system Administrator". I will do my best to assist you!

There is a Administrator settings through the Embedded Web Sever, but in order to access this you have to be connected over a wireless network. Unfortunately, you're unable to access the Wireless Setup. There is two options you can try:

1) You can hook up an Ethernet cord, then access the Embedded Web Sever.

2) You can install this printer on your computer by a USB cord. Complete the installation, then follow this HP document on Convert from a USB connected printer to wireless. Once this is complete you can access the Embedded Web Sever.

Once you get this printer connected, follow these steps in the Embedded Web Sever:

1) At the very top click on Settings, then Password Settings
2) If there is a Username and Password, please delete this and click apply

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great night! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello derekd01,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're unable to connect the Officejet 8600 wireless because you're receiving a message "This feature has been locked by your system Administrator". I will do my best to assist you!

There is a Administrator settings through the Embedded Web Sever, but in order to access this you have to be connected over a wireless network. Unfortunately, you're unable to access the Wireless Setup. There is two options you can try:

1) You can hook up an Ethernet cord, then access the Embedded Web Sever.

2) You can install this printer on your computer by a USB cord. Complete the installation, then follow this HP document on Convert from a USB connected printer to wireless. Once this is complete you can access the Embedded Web Sever.

Once you get this printer connected, follow these steps in the Embedded Web Sever:

1) At the very top click on Settings, then Password Settings
2) If there is a Username and Password, please delete this and click apply

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great night! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you.  I appreciate the help!

HP Recommended

I finally found out how to fix this

Once you see the printer's home screen go to Settings > Security > Administrator Settings (you will be redirected to the HP webserver site and your browser may warn you not to go to this page. YOU MUST GO THERE  TO GET TO the HP Embedded Web Server page

Once there you will see and must select  > Printer Settings

Once into Printer Settings you must DESELECT CONTROL PANEL LOCK and then click on APPLY

This will allow you to change printer settings from the printers screen (Control Panel)

AMAZING to me that no one from HP posted this solution. I knew what was wrong but it took me a lot of time to find out when HP had HIDDEN this setting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.