Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Brian, I'd try calling Support as they may send you out some SETUPs as you've lost the other ones.

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi Ciara_B,

I'm another HP user struggling with the setup cartridge error message. I've tried almost all suggestions mentioned in this forum but nothing worked. Could you please help me(PM me the solution).

Model: Deskjet 3070A B611

Thanks,

Amit

HP Recommended

Hi Ciara,

Tried contacting HP support in Denmark, but they did'nt know of the existence of Starter cartridges, but suggested that we should try the normal cartdriges, as we already had done a couple of times, as they should work!

I'm sorry, but as none of the suggestions worked, we've decided to throw the printer out...

Best regards,

Brian

HP Recommended

And I've checked with HP Sweden. They have no clue how to fix this issue.

HP Recommended

I'm another HP user struggling with the setup cartridge error message. I've tried almost all suggestions mentioned in this forum but nothing worked. Could you please help me(PM me the solution).

Model: Deskjet 3070A B611

Thanks,

Petre

HP Recommended

I'm also struggling with this. I've now bought two full sets of cartridges for my deskjet 3070A B611 series (I thought the first ones might just be duff and didn't realise this was a common problem before buying the second set) but neither are recognised by the printer. I've also tried the semi-full reset suggestion but this hasn't worked for me - in fact it put me back a step as now I can't even get to the main menu when turning the printer on! The printer is out of warranty and I threw away the setup cartridges a year so ago when they ran out. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, otherwise the printer is also destined for the bin.

Regards

Stephen

HP Recommended

Hello from Portugal!

If you still have the printer with this problem bear in mind that YOU CAN USE IT WITHOUT "SETUP CARTRIDGES".
According to HP, Setup Cartridges are used only for calibration, (most of the time) they have the same capacity as a standard pack, but the embedded chip as signal that marks them as special cartridges.

If the printer was reset to a factory condition (most likely), it expects those cartridges but you can enter the Support Menu (hidden) and clear the bit that signals the printer to perform that calibration and it will resume working after the alignment page.

In short:
(As always, do this at your risk)

1) Go to SUPPORT MENU (see video), 
2) System Configuration Menu
3) Ink initialization status
4) Change from "Set" to "Clear" <<<<
5) Exit by pressing X several times
6) Turn printer OFF/ON

http://youtu.be/NOKzWZvUkaI

HP Recommended

Hi BaiaVieira,

Thanks so much! That's totally fixed the problem and saved my deskjet from the scrap heap! 

I appreciate your help!

Stephen

HP Recommended

Hi Ciara_B,

I don't have the set-up cartridges anymore and my printer keeps asking for it.  Could you please help me with the issue?

It is an HP 3520

HP Recommended

@Gilbert777 

I'm going to send you a private msg (check out envelope at top right)

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.