Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Prox X551DW

Hello, 

I have been following the saga between HP, EFF, and unsuspecting consumers (as reported on Slashdot.org) because this issue is impacting my ability to continue to use the HP printer I purchased.

I have an  Officejet Prox X551dw and have applied the firmware listed at:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05308850

The resulting firmware version after upgrade reports as:  BZP1CN1640AR

My ink is fine (chemistry-wise) and full in all scenarios:

In one scenario I have a (K) cartridge with NO CHIP. I receive the message "Cartridge Problem" + "Until cartidges are installed, make sure the printer is turned on to avoid damage to the printer".   I am unable to use my printer.

In another scenario I have a (K) cartridge with a 3rd party chip.  I receive the same exact message. 

I am unable to use my printer.

I know that the (K) chip reader on the printer is working, because if I install a setup cartridge it tells me "Ink cartridge depleted" and that it must be replaced to continue printing.  The cartridge actually is not depleted, it is nearly full of usable ink. Again, I am unable to use my printer.

I have all this black ink that would work perfectly well for my purposes in the product I purchased, but it appears I am being blocked at all fronts by HP from being able to use it. 

The new firmware apparently isn't working as described.

What are my options to regain use of  the printer?

Thanks,

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bob - Actually I was printing fine on a 3rd party cartrdige w/chip, but then all of a sudden the printer invalidated the chips to the point where they are no longer recognized (e.g. no difference between a chip, and a tape covered chip). This happened across multiple cartrdiges and chips at different times within a short period of time.  Coincidentially, none of the geniune HP carts/chips I have were destroyed & rendered unreadable by the printer.

Anyway, I was able to work around this issue by lying to my printer.

I do not feel bad about this because a) it's a printer b) it's mine.

I got to thinking that different countries probably have different country-level policies with regards to the very anti-consumer 3rd party ink practices employed by some printer manufacturers.  For example, it seems if I tell my printer it is in Israel, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, etc. then it is mostly happy and appears to bypasses some of the checks that prevented me from using my printer.

I was able to print 100+ color pages this way before being told a cartridge was depleted & then I reset, re-region & print again without issue.  It would be nice if my printer would stop lying to me,  but I suppose this is the relationship we shall have going forward.

NOTE: If I do a print software printhead clean (from the menu), it will trigger a check when using an alternate region. I clean the head manually & by printing heavy CMYK solids & color-mixed test prints so I don't really use the sofware head cleaning routine much anyway.  

So yeah my process to continue printing is:

- Enter support menu (click back arrow quickly 4 times)

- Enter resets menu

- Perform semi-full reset & reboot

- Printer seems to go through "factory reset" at this point (all stored settings may be lost!)

- Select region

- Printer works for awhile without issue.

YMMV.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is a bit of confusion regarding the "chip".  The chip on HP cartridges contains information on the ink type, capacity, usage status and other information, as well as verification that it is actually an HP cartridge.  The "dynamic security feature" present for a relatively short time did additional checks on the chip to verify it was an original HP chip (without regard to the actual ink in the cartridge).

For your cases:

• "In one scenario I have a (K) cartridge with NO CHIP. I receive the message "Cartridge Problem" + "Until cartidges are installed, make sure the printer is turned on to avoid damage to the printer".   I am unable to use my printer."

Without a chip the printer cannot detect a cartridge is installed at all. It will report the cartridge is not installed and will not print.

• "In another scenario I have a (K) cartridge with a 3rd party chip.  I receive the same exact message. I am unable to use my printer."

It would appear your third party supplier has not programmed the chip, or has not programmed it properly to reflect the proper information.

• "I know that the (K) chip reader on the printer is working, because if I install a setup cartridge it tells me "Ink cartridge depleted" and that it must be replaced to continue printing.  The cartridge actually is not depleted, it is nearly full of usable ink. Again, I am unable to use my printer."

Simply putting more ink into the cartridge will not change its ink gauge.  You would need to properly program the chip to reflect the proper ink levels.  If a used cartridge is marked as depleted it will continue to report this status unless reprogrammed.

Your option to use the printer would be to install a proper cartrdige, either from HP or from a reliable third party.  HP cannot be responsible to the quality of third party suppliers.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob - Actually I was printing fine on a 3rd party cartrdige w/chip, but then all of a sudden the printer invalidated the chips to the point where they are no longer recognized (e.g. no difference between a chip, and a tape covered chip). This happened across multiple cartrdiges and chips at different times within a short period of time.  Coincidentially, none of the geniune HP carts/chips I have were destroyed & rendered unreadable by the printer.

Anyway, I was able to work around this issue by lying to my printer.

I do not feel bad about this because a) it's a printer b) it's mine.

I got to thinking that different countries probably have different country-level policies with regards to the very anti-consumer 3rd party ink practices employed by some printer manufacturers.  For example, it seems if I tell my printer it is in Israel, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, etc. then it is mostly happy and appears to bypasses some of the checks that prevented me from using my printer.

I was able to print 100+ color pages this way before being told a cartridge was depleted & then I reset, re-region & print again without issue.  It would be nice if my printer would stop lying to me,  but I suppose this is the relationship we shall have going forward.

NOTE: If I do a print software printhead clean (from the menu), it will trigger a check when using an alternate region. I clean the head manually & by printing heavy CMYK solids & color-mixed test prints so I don't really use the sofware head cleaning routine much anyway.  

So yeah my process to continue printing is:

- Enter support menu (click back arrow quickly 4 times)

- Enter resets menu

- Perform semi-full reset & reboot

- Printer seems to go through "factory reset" at this point (all stored settings may be lost!)

- Select region

- Printer works for awhile without issue.

YMMV.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.