Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have experienced variety of disconnects to models 8630, X476DW and X5??DW printers. Rarely had problem with wired connection except 8630. Client gave away because unable to reliably stay available for netwrok printing. New laptop connecting through USB to gigabit RJ-45 looses connection to X476DW. Old desktop wired connect no problems. When restart printer it remembers all in queue and prints. Connectivity to X5??DW printer better but still looses connectivty to multiple laptops connected wirelessly. Spent hours online with HP for 8630 resolve - it didn't work. These problems exist on 2 separate networks, both now using ARRIS modem/routers/wi-fi as prinmary wired and wireless connections.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Things to check on the Arris.

Use a fixed wireless channel; 1, 6 or 11. 
Set router to 20Mhz only.
Use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption if possible. 
Disable WPS and UPnP for the routers security.

On a dual band router make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same

SSID broadcast must be enabled.
Check router firmware for latest updates.

As for routers, I like Asus or Synology.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is the firmware on all the printers current?

Also replace the Arris router.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The modems are both new. I don't know the models they replace but the problem existed on different routers. As far as firmware, I know the 3 of the 4 are guaranteed updated but unsure of the 8620 model I found had the same problem. In my past dealing with HP online they spent 2.5 hours online making changes to one computer and it started doing the same thing again 2 days later.

HP Recommended

The Arris routers are know to cause problems with HP printers.

HP Recommended

Is the problem only with MFP models? We have 3 or 4 HP printers or low-end MFP's that work fine. It just seems to be the OfficeJet Pro models. In both cases the modem is being supplied by the ISP. One is business the other residential. Are there any networking tricks such as subnetting ? Do you have recommendations for replacement brands or just eliminate Arris?

HP Recommended

Things to check on the Arris.

Use a fixed wireless channel; 1, 6 or 11. 
Set router to 20Mhz only.
Use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption if possible. 
Disable WPS and UPnP for the routers security.

On a dual band router make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same

SSID broadcast must be enabled.
Check router firmware for latest updates.

As for routers, I like Asus or Synology.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will give this a try. In most cases, they simply restart the printer and it works. I will try this on the residential and see if it corrects the problem. The residential is mine and I haven't had a problem for almost a week. For now if it ain't broke I won't fix it. But I have your instrucions thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.