Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@wardell1 wrote:

Hello-As long as you use either Vista or Win7 Upgrade OS,you should expect to have the duplexer problem. Chech for a HP patch that is the best solution. Search this site for the HP duplexer patch. If it fails after n uses, your solution is to do a Win 7 clean install. It is free of this nusance. Otherwise, wait and perform a win 8 clean install. Good luck..

What exactly are you talking about?  There are only a few duplexer related issues I am aware of in Vista and Windows 7 and they are covered in the first post in this thread.  Did you read that post?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@seattleuser wrote:

None of the HP duplexer patches worked.  What is a "Win7 Clean Install" and how do I do it?

What printer model? What operating system? What is the issue you are having?  If the duplexer does not show up as installed see the first post in this thread, which says:

No option for two-sided printing. The selection for automatic two sided printing may be grayed out, or only manual duplexing is offered.  This typically occurs because the duplexer is not recognized as installed, or the driver may default to not installed.   To correct this in Vista do the following: go to Start, Control Panel, Printers, right-click on the printer, Run as Administrator, Properties, (continue), Device Settings, Installable Options, set the "Two Sided Duplex Unit" to installed, OK.  For Windows 7 the method is similar:  go to Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the printer, Printer properties, Device settings, Installable Options, set the "Two Sided Duplex Unit" to installed, OK.  [Edit]  HP has provided the page here that details how to enable the duplexer in XP, Vista and Windows 7.  You may need to apply this fix as a user with administrative privileges. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello-I am giving my experience with the same problem. I elimiated the duplexer only by performing a win7 Home Premium clean install. I downloaded HP's patch which corrected the problem for a few months but re-appeared. I do not have the problem anymore and I am just presenting my experience. I have no interest in prevous posts.

HP Recommended

Hello-You have to either own or purchase a win 7 os that is installed on your computer after a complete erasure of your hard drive and install the os on a clean hdd. After that, install all other programs again. Get a backup program to make a  copy of your personal files. If you presently own a win 7 complete install,make sure that you have a hard drive cleaner/wiper to clean it first or pay a computer service company to perform this service for you. The reason you cannot get the duplexer to work is because the vista kernel is present with the Win 7 upgrade. I had to purchase a complete install os that required the hd to be cleaned before installing win 7. You willnot see win7 upgrade written on the box. You can purchase this from ebay(oem) at a much cheaper price than most s/w stores. The downside is that you willnot get Microsoft support for oem s/w.

HP Recommended

@seattleuser wrote:

None of the HP duplexer patches worked.  What is a "Win7 Clean Install" and how do I do it?

A clean install requires reformatting your hard drive and starting over, a rather extreme step that is not warranted based on what you have indicated so far.

What printer model do you have?  What is the error you are seeing?  Was your computer upgraded from Vista to Windows 7?  Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

My HP C6280 is wired to a desktop that runs Windows XP, but it is the network printer to which my new Dell laptop running Windows 7- 64 bit connects wirelessly.  I am trying to print documents from the laptop; I have followed the directions on the HP support page to be sure the duplexer is installed.  The duplexer is installed, but when I choose "automatic" duplex under paper saving and then press "ok", it doesn't "take," i.e., when I go back to it, it shows that automatic duplexing is "off," and only single sided pages print, no matter what I do. 

HP Recommended

I have a P3005 on a Windows 7 Network, I have found the fault to be very intermittent.

It was reported to me that Duplexing was not working from Microsoft Word. Excel, PDF's were fine, I printed from my own PC (as this is a networked printer) and it duplexed fine, thinking it was a Office issue I reinstalled office on the PC, and installed the same version of office on my PC and yet it still remains the same, my PC can duplex and the other.

The user then reported to me that it suddenly started working correctly and she could now duplex from Word, then a week later it had stopped working.

I have also deleted user profiles. please help  

HP Recommended

I have the photosmart 2610 all in one.   I can do step one as directed in the link but in Step two when I click “Printing Preferences”  I don’t get a “features” tab.  I have windows 7 . 

HP Recommended

@RustyDusty wrote:

I have the photosmart 2610 all in one.   I can do step one as directed in the link but in Step two when I click “Printing Preferences”  I don’t get a “features” tab.  I have windows 7 . 

I do not know which link you are using or what issue you are having, but there are two steps that may be needed.  First go to Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Photosmart 2600 series and select Printer Properties, Device Settings, and set the Automatic Duplex Unit to "installed". OK.  To use the duplexer you can choose "Print on both sides - Automatically" in the printing shortcuts tab or go to the finishing tab and select "Print on both sides".

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

This 2 part response was the same one I was given.  But it doesn't work.  I can do step one--making sure that the duplexer is installed, but when I try to do step two, i.e., I try to choose "Print on both sides--Automatically" in printing shortcuts, or "Print on both sides" on the finishing tab, (I've tried both), the computer continues to say "Off' or it clicks to okay but then doesn't duplex, and when I check the setting again, it has changed to "off."  (I'm the user with the C6280 printer hardwired to a Windows XP desktop, but networked wirelessly to a Windows 7-64 bit laptop, which is what I am using to try to print.)  I still need help.  How can I get the second step to "stick" and work?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.