Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks Ciara!

It looks like chemical ink composition haven't changed much for HP Photosmart type printers - I've 5510 model with a new smaller 564XL cartridge (CN684WN).

There are many 564XL cartridges remanufactured with chip and generic without chip sold on the market. They are more economical to use than OEM. Their sellers state the ink in generic cartridges is as good or better than HP brand ink, and usually they contain 2-3 times more ink filled in compare to same size OEM cartridge.

Is it necessary to cleanup printer ink piping system with a solvent solution before switching from OEM ink to generic - why? And what solvent & cleanup method would you recommend? I assume the same ink type is used in generic and refurb cartridges - pigment for Black, and die for Color, but ink chemical composition may differ. :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

It's difficult to know what HP's motive was for naming two completely different HP cartridges with the same model number, and then packaging a random one with the other color ones.  You would think a photo cartridge would fit in a Photosmart printer.  I just spent an hour trying to talk to someone in HP customer support to answer this question and to get a correct replacement.  Still no luck after being disconnected and transferred four times.  The last word was either to try to return it to Costco (where I bought the four pack) or to send an email to [edited].  I think I will end up just eating it and not buying from HP again.  I guess I should have bought the 564XL instead of the 564XL....

HP Recommended

I bought my Photosmart C309-g in 2009 and the printer has been virtually useless due to the confusion in buying the necessary black ink cartridge.  I am looking at three different sizes of black cartridges lableled 564 that I have purchased over the last 2 years under different packaging. The ink cartridge has no other distinguishing marks other than a date.  These black cartridges vary in thickness with one measuring 1/2", one 5/8" and the other 1".  My printer uses the 1/2" and the 5/8" thick cartridge.  Please give me an ordering code for the 1/2" and the 5/8" cartridge respectively.  These cannot be bought from a local store because the packaging only reads 564 and will not allow viewing the size.  I'm sure this has been a plus for HP. This will definitely be a consideration when purchasing my next printer. 

Please don't send me to another site because the size is not mentioned and I would not know which size I was ordering. 

Thank you,

Frustrated Senior

HP Recommended

An update....  Costco took back my unopened 4 pack (including the Photo black ink) no questions asked and paid me cash.  Kudos for Costco.

I did receive a reply back very quickly from [edited], and they agreed to replace the photo black ink I had from a previous Costco purchase (I had used the color cartridges) with the correct black one.  

HP Recommended

@Senior44 wrote:

I bought my Photosmart C309-g in 2009 and the printer has been virtually useless due to the confusion in buying the necessary black ink cartridge.  I am looking at three different sizes of black cartridges lableled 564 that I have purchased over the last 2 years under different packaging. The ink cartridge has no other distinguishing marks other than a date.  These black cartridges vary in thickness with one measuring 1/2", one 5/8" and the other 1".  My printer uses the 1/2" and the 5/8" thick cartridge.  Please give me an ordering code for the 1/2" and the 5/8" cartridge respectively.  These cannot be bought from a local store because the packaging only reads 564 and will not allow viewing the size.  I'm sure this has been a plus for HP. This will definitely be a consideration when purchasing my next printer. 

Please don't send me to another site because the size is not mentioned and I would not know which size I was ordering. 

Thank you,

Frustrated Senior

Hi, for the c309 you can purchase the regular Black cartridge or the Photo Black (or the corresponding XL sizes for each). The part numbers you need are as follows

HP564 (CB316WN) - Black

HP564xl (CN684WN) - Black XL

HP564 (CB317WN) - Photo Black

HP564xl (CB322WN) - Photo Black XL

Note that the size of the Black XL cartridge was changed, but it will still fit into the printhead. More details in the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02750681

Also, you may find it useful to order your cartridges online (check out SureSupply, linked below. You just need to enter your printer model no. and it shows the compatible cartridges)

https://h30042.www3.hp.com/SureSupply/

Hope this helps

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I can't find the skinny black cartridge anywhere. I thought I had just found three but didn't have the hexagone symbol, or the XL that is on the hexagone ink cartridges that are available everywhere.

This is my third printer in three years HP is a nightmare. I hope HP goes bankrupt.

HP Recommended

Hi Moji

You'll be able to purchase the smaller body black cartridge via SureSupply. See links below

SureSupply

https://h30042.www3.hp.com/SureSupply/

New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02750681

Hope this helps

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Problem is not limited to Sam's Club. Costco sells the same packaging. I think it's an HP marketing mistake, whether they own up to it or not. I just bought an HP printer that uses 564's and almost bought one of the combopacks containing a photoblack cartridge. But I decided to wait a few days so I could price them elsewhere. Glad I did wait. This is too confusing for a new HP printer owner, and it's not good for customer relations. Somebody's not thinking at HP.

HP Recommended

good luck with getting ANY help from HP.  Every printer I have had for years have been HP... no matter what the problem, they have NEVER helped me at all.  I am sitting of a thousand dollars of toner for a 1600 laser printer that prints like crap.... they don't even recognize that they even built the darn thing, yet I know I regestered it with them.  I have fought with that printer for 4 years. Now it just sets on my computer top shelf laughing at me.  I got a 309g and when I replaced all the cartridges, it never printed ever again... I also had alot of 309 cartridges (564). So I bought a Photosmart 7525 that will help me use the cartridges I have invested in.  HP seemed to have some good priced printers, but I keep remembering "..The bitterness of low quality remains, long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

HP Recommended

It is upsetting to hear you say it is the owner's fault for not knowing about the variations of "564" ink cartridges.

Are there THREE types of HP564 Black? Is this correct: a HP564 "ink"; HP564 XL; HP564; is there anything else we need to know?

Yesterday: Best Buy told me that the XL was the Large cartridge and the 564 without "XL" would be the small one. I showed him the cartridge I needed to replace.  He was busy - he turned away as if 'he knows' and obviously I am asking a stupid question.  I WISH I HAD OPENED THE PACKAGE IN FRONT OF HIM which is what I'd planned to do, but he had no time for me.  I took it home, opened and darn!  IT IS WRONG! For you to say it's the owner's fault - not informing themselves... HP, we got sidewinded with hidden details which are not obvious, not spelled out.  And the seller of the HP Printer is not educated to support their HP buyers.

I purchased the Photo Smart 7520 from same Best Buy where they don't know the differences any more than I did - obviously more than a handful of people are being 'taken' purchasing the wrong cartridges.  :Crying:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.