Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have trouble getting my printer to print from my laptop it says printer offline but it is not checked How can I get it online and stay there

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The same thing just happened to me & I found the problem within a couple minutes by exploring.  I'm using Windows 7.

1. Go to the 'Start' menu
  2. Select 'Devices and Printers'
  3. Double Click on your printer
  4. Click the link on the top right that says 'Printer: Offline'
  5. Click on 'Printer' at the top left
  6. Go down and uncheck 'use printer offline'
  7. PRINT

This worked for me.. I thought I was gonna have to do a system restore or something more complicated if that didn't work... definitely don't wanna buy another printer over a technical glitch! Hope this solves your problem!

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
HP Recommended

Hi - Try following the steps in this document, which should resolve the issue.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

hi why dose my hp 1020 printer not work even though it is fine as i have done a diagnostics test with yourselfs reply asap thanks

HP Recommended

hello why dose my hp 1020 printer not work even though it says that it is fine when i have done the diognestics with your selfs

HP Recommended

The same thing just happened to me & I found the problem within a couple minutes by exploring.  I'm using Windows 7.

1. Go to the 'Start' menu
  2. Select 'Devices and Printers'
  3. Double Click on your printer
  4. Click the link on the top right that says 'Printer: Offline'
  5. Click on 'Printer' at the top left
  6. Go down and uncheck 'use printer offline'
  7. PRINT

This worked for me.. I thought I was gonna have to do a system restore or something more complicated if that didn't work... definitely don't wanna buy another printer over a technical glitch! Hope this solves your problem!

HP Recommended

My printer is a HP  Officejet 65000A Plus has started saying its offline . yet it is my default printer . How can change it to bloody work.

HP Recommended

@GalacticCanibal, sorry that you are having this issue with the printer being offline. 

You can try to run the print and scan doctor and it may fix the issue. Here is a link to it. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

How are you connected, USB or wireless?

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

@ enewton:

I've been wracking my brain as to why I could not connect my HP Photosmart Printer to my new HP Touch Smart computer. I followed your advice and viola! It worked... although the new Windows has me going bananas... Thanks.

HP Recommended

@edowns wrote:

I have trouble getting my printer to print from my laptop it says printer offline but it is not checked How can I get it online and stay there

HP Recommended
My HP Photosmart Plus all in one printer will not print. My Dell laptop says it is offline. How do I get it to print?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.