Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Due to a problem with my wireless-capable modem (the problem being that its ethernet ports became faulty), for a while I had to turn on the WiFi capability so as to provide Internet connectivity to my iMac.  Likewise, for the first time, I enabled WiFi on my HP Officejet Pro 8620 so I could retain a printing capability.

Once my new modem arrived, I re-established my full ethernet network between the modem, my iMac (plus other devices) and the Office jet Pro 8620 printer.  All now works well!

However, the Officejet Pro 8620 printer WiFi ability will not turn off despite operating with an ethernet cable and there being no WiFi emanating from my modem.  I know that the Officejet Pro 8620 is still transmitting WiFi as my iPad and my iPhone indicate that it is.  As my wife is concerned about such RF transmissions that are on the other side of the wall adjacent to our bed, she has asked me to turn off the Officejet Pro 8620 WiFi.  I have restored the printer to 'Network Defaults' but this doesn't do the trick.  

According to the printer instructions, "Wireless will not work with an Ethernet cable connected to the printer" however this clearly isn't he case.  How can I solve this?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your WiFi is turned off.  Your Wireless Direct is not turned off.  Turn off Wireless Direct in the printer.   Info is in the User Guide.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Your WiFi is turned off.  Your Wireless Direct is not turned off.  Turn off Wireless Direct in the printer.   Info is in the User Guide.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your solution; to be honest, I wasn't aware of the 'Wireless Direct' function!  

LESSON: Read the manual/user guide in future 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.