Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bob (hope you don't mind, but after reading all that you have written here, I feel as though I know you):

Performance is very finicky. Reminder of the facts -- Windows 7, HP DeskJet 722c, USB to parallel cable (not sure of manufacturer, but it worked yesterday, and the driver for it is listed in devices) connected to comport USB003. Applied your patch (thanks again).

After some struggle Saturday and yesterday, it seemed to work fine until I disconnected the printer from the laptop, and now it seems that I can't do anything to get it to work. Yesterday while I was banging my head against the wall trying to get it to work, I tried different USB ports (I know that if one works or doesn't work, the same should be true for the others, but I was desperate...). USB 0001 didn't work. USB0002 didn't work.  USB003 worked.  Today when it didn’t work, I tried switching them around again, to no avail.

I know that I am unreasonably attached to my old 722c, but it seems ridiculous to throw it away when it works great.  I will if I have to, but I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction before it comes to that.

Many thanks for your continuing assistance,

Caitlin

HP Recommended

Caitlin,

I'm the person who originated this thread.  I've had the same problem ever since I got it working for the first time with Bob's help.  That is, the 722C stops printing periodically.  I haven't figured out the exact sequence to resolve it but first I do this: turn off the printer, delete the non-printing document, unplug the USB cable.  I then hibernate the computer and start it up again without the cable attached, wait awhile until Im sure it is done restarting, hibernate, start up, wait again then plug in the cable and turn on the printer.  I think I sometimes have to let it hibernate several times.  I have the advantage that I have another printer that I don't like as well but having it available lets me leave the 722C unplugged for a while.  I think what I'm doing is letting it forget that it has a 722C attached so that when the cable is plugged in again and the printer is turned on again it does the set-up all over again.

I had the same problem with it not working after unplugging the laptop.  I seem to have resolved that by turning off the printer, unplugging the cable, hibernating the computer, restarting the computer, and then hibernating or shutting down the computer and unplugging the laptop from everything else.  When I plug everything back in I don't plug in the printer until after I've hibernated the computer at least once.  I can see where this would be a pain if you unplug the laptop frequently but I only have to do that every two weeks when the cleaning lady comes.

I usually hibernate the computer but this might also work equally well if you shut it down instead.  Also, in the beginning it seemed to me that printing from the web caused it to hang more often than when printing documents from applications on my computer so I've got the other printer set up as the default printer and don't use the 722C for printing from the web.  Don't know if it is really true about printing from the web being worse.

Like you I really like my 722C and want to be able to  use it for as long as I can.

HP Recommended

many thanks!

HP Recommended
Thanks for the help! My printer is working again!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to submit to your attention this situation: The HP Laserjet 5000N was running well, connected  to 2 different networks (one after another), using static IP (OS Windows 7, driver PCL 6 v5.2).

I had had to change the IP because of the gateway, from xxx.xxx.1.xxx to xxx.xxx.100.xxx. Since then, the printer printed few pages by luck (I suppose).

Now, I can not connect the printer to the network, I can not install the PCL 6 driver (not detecting the printer on network).

I changed the connection to USB-to-LPT adapter to directly connect the printer to the notebook (OS Win 7, PCL 6 v5.4 driver, USB virtual port, etc.).

Finally, I installed the driver, but, when printing, only few random characters on pages and the well-known error message with unknown@protocol on the last printed page.

Please, let me know how to re-connect it to the network (which drivers should I use?) or how to solve the unknown@protocol error on USB2LPT adapter connection.

On configuration page, everything seems correct.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Silviu

HP Recommended

I Bob,

I read the posts.  I have a Windows 7 Pro machine, no paralell card installed, and want to continue to use my ancient business inkjet 2200.  I purchased a USB to paralell cord.

I would much rather not purchase a paralell card and go mucking about in my new machine unless you tell me otherwise!

1. When i try to do this, following a number of routes (via Devices and Printers, add printer) it adds a new icon for the 2200 but when i print a test page my photosmart 410 gets the job.

2. Is my printer just too old?

3. If not too old, can I please have a summary of the exact steps?  I tried even the Windows Update and it resulted in a number of drivers listed for the 2200...some with (HPA), (HP) and/or (Microsoft) behind them.  Perhaps you could also let me know which one to use.

4. IFF the 2200 doesn't work with Windows 7 what do you recommend to replace my 2200?  This can be a stand alone printer or all-in-one.  I do 99% printing on legal.  My main issue is ability to have separate ink cartridges and to use as little ink as possible (via driver?).   Both my business inkjets 2200 and 1100 only sipped ink, not like this new photosmart ink-drinker!

Thank You and Very Kind Regards,

Despondent to Lose My 2200!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my Dell Vostro 3700 laptop, Win7/32  and Laserjet 4000 connected to USB port via USB to Parallel interface.
SOLUTION THAT WORKS: add DC powered USB hub and connect printer to one of hub-s ports. Let Windows install drivers for USB cable and printer and print is perfect!

It comes out that laptop's USB ports do not have sufficient current or voltage, particularly if some other USB devices are connected to the laptop...

Radivoj
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  This driver update worked perfect on my HP 720C using a usb-parallel cable.

HP Recommended
Hi,
Your help is still helping. I bought the parrallel converter from the recommendation in this forum and installed the drivers with the patch and it works great on a win 7 x64 for an HP 450C that I just bought and still looks very new somehow.

Thanks a million bytes
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have HP Pavilion 500-305 Desktop PC... in this pc there are no parallel port, but i want to connect my printer which has parallel port with the mentioned desktop. i have already bought USB to Parallel port converter, operating system is Windows 8 / Windows 8.1...i cant connect, please help and guide for this issue..

HP Pavilion 500-305 Desktop PC

Windows 8 / Windows 8.1..64 BIT

Laserjet & deskjet printer(paralllel port)...

please help & guide...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.