Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Contacted HP phone support, I did not know there is an expiry date on HP ink cartridges, mine was out of date a few months ago.  They are sending me a new one at a 15% discount.  Hopefully this is the fix to my problem.  She seems very sure it will be the fix. If not I will be calling them back.  Keep fingers crossed!!

HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get in touch with our HP phone support and they helping you in placing an order for the new ink cartridges.

Please take your time and get back to me with the results, I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution. And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you read posts or just respond willy nilly. HP's response to me was I should upgrade my printer. They have not contacted me other than that. Your responses are not informative or helpfull and any reading of my my initial post or replies  illustrate the carelessness of your replies and questions.

HP Recommended

Thank you to all who helped me understand my printer a bit better.  After trying all the clean up tips, the suggestion of phone support came through.  There I learned there is an expiry date on the cartridge, not sure why it printed a few months past the date it decided to no longer print.  Just received my new cartridge, prints like new again.  Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on a fairly new Officejet Pro 6978 and am on the Instant Ink program.  Black just stopped working today.  I have run all the diagnostics, cleaned heads, removed the cartridge to check for vent blockages, etc.  I think I am out of ink even though it shows I have a good supply and none is scheduled to ship.  Tomorrow I will buy a black and install it, just to see if that eliminates the issue.

HP Recommended

Affprod, sorry to see you are having a problem with your black ink, I sure can relate.  After trying all the same as you I called HP to figure out there is an expiry date on the ink cartridge.  Mine was expired.   Hope the new cartridge helps you as it did for me.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  If the expiration date is on the bottom of the cartridge, it is June 27, 2020, so it should be good.  I just installed a new black cartridge and I am up and running again.  I still do not know what the trouble is, but I assume it has to do with the printer incorrectly monitoring the ink level.  Way over my head.  I am going to communicate with the Instant Ink people to see if they have an answer, otherwise I think I will have to drop that program and just keep a spare set of cartridges on hand as I have done for years.

HP Recommended

I called Instant Ink and they are going to send a new cartridge.  They will send next business day if there is an issue, so I likely should have called them first...oh well, lesson learned.  They think the issue is not the printer reading the ink level, they think the cartridge still has the ink and just failed.  With the new cartridge they will send a package to return the failed one for possible examination.  If I learn anything further I will post, but my guess is this is the end of this road. 

Long story short, depending on when your cartridge fails they will have a new one in your hand next business day (early failure) or the second business day (late in day failure).  Still puts you in a bind, either way.  When the new instant ink cartridge arrives I will put it in the printer so they can track usage, seal and store the one I purchased as a a backup.  Wait and see attitude, no problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.