Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Did not change anything.  A week or so ago turned printer on to print a document from the web and got very poor results. 

Multiple pages and some have very little ink, not enough on any to know what was being printed.  Today trouble shooted and tried cleaning heads, cleaning carteridge, all to no avail.  Shows I still have a little less than 1/2 black and about 1/2 on coloured, tells me not ready to be replaced. Test pages print colour fine, some of the test pages have no black lines. Please help me!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps and still having the issue with printing in black. I would suggest this to be a printer hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please follow the link from the previous post to create a case number to reach HP phone support.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Welcome to the HP support forums. Good day.:) I understand that you require assistance regarding not printing in black. I will be a delight to assist you with this.

Terrific description and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

• Did you try to make copies in black directly from the printer?
  • Did you bypass power stripes and connect the printer directly to the wall outlet?

• For a start please try to make a few copies in black directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.
  • If it copies fine, please uninstall the printer software by following these steps:
  • In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  •   Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply. Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried the uninstall and reinstall.....no change. Tried the cleaning again, no change.  Tried copy and that is not printing black.

HP Recommended

Printing black ink fine. Next minute not prinintg. Says levels ar low but usually it will still print but today it will not print any more. bought new cartridge 3 weeks ago .Ptrnted about 15 pages and now it is out of ink. i have this probelm regularly.

What is the solution?

HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having issues printing in black. I would personally suggest this could be a printer hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. If your product is Out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @webster67,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues printing in black on your HP Envy printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

Have you tried cleaning the printhead?

In the meantime, let's try to perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues

If the copy works fine, I would suggest you try to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers (please choose the Operating system and version before downloading and installing the full feature software).

15 ). Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using HP ink cartridges.

No cannot make copy from the printer.

Tried cleaning the printhead and the cartridge.

Has been plugged directly to wall outlet all along. 

Tried the hard reset as you suggested.  Still no change.

HP Recommended

Hi @afg1,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps and still having the issue with printing in black. I would suggest this to be a printer hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please follow the link from the previous post to create a case number to reach HP phone support.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thumbs Down I did contact HP support. As i stated in my previous post, the HP support solution to my issue was to upgrade my printer. I believe that HP is well aware of a defect in the printer design that results in the black ink not working. It is totally unacceptable that with the number of people that experience this problem that HP would suggest in the troubleshooting steps to replace the printer cartridges. I believe HP is well aware that print head is defective and cartridge replacement will not correct the loss of black ink printing .

HP's technical support solution was to upgrade my printer. It will not be an HP product for sure.

$300.00 for the printer, 3 sets of ink cartridges @ $80.00 a set, Total pages printed before HP's recommendation to upgrade my printer - 712 pages

HP's cost per page = $540.00/712  76 cents a page wish I would have called HP support before I bought it i would have upgraded right then.

By the way, based on yur response I don't even believe you read my post.  2 thunbs and 2 big toes down on your response.

HP Recommended

Hi @mhsully,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.