Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have set my printing preferences to use black ink only however I have just been notified by my printer that my magenta cartridge 933 is out of ink and my printer refuses to let me print anything. Why if I have it set for black ink only would the color ink be decreasing and I am not able to print a black text only document when there is plenty of black ink left (only magenta is out of ink)
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums lnichols:)

I appreciate your frustration, I really do. However, this particular printer uses some color inks even when printing in black only. If you did run out of color and kept printing black only, you will cause problems with the printhead.

FYI, HERE is the user guide to your printer, see page 74.

I've also linked page yield information HERE.

I hope that helps!

Have a great Tuesday:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Brother Laser Printer for $99 on Amazon, toner cartridge for 11.45, starting to look better every day

HP Recommended

@nonegiven,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print pdf pages in black from your HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the printhead is clogged or the firmware may not be updated.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: http://hp.care/2qudeaL

Also, let us know the operating system installed on the computer from the links below: 

1. Click Here if it is a Windows PC

2. Click Here if it is a Mac PC

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

It gave me the option to print something else the other day, using black only. why wont it do that for me with a pdf?  I looked and my box of colors is down to magenta when yellow is what I need.  I shouldn't have to wait until my order gets here.

It wont clean the print head until I put in yellow ink, either.  I checked the software, no updates availble.

Also, yeah my 64 bit Win 7 Pro, sp 1 is still the same one I bought and installed myself.  Which changes exactly what?

CaptureRAM.JPG

HP Recommended

@nonegiven,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the printer does not respond until you install the yellow cartridge.

These printers are designed in such a way that it will not print until you replace the empty cartridge. Hence, you need to keep a stock of the cartridges when they say low on ink. Even if you set it to black ink only, the printhead will not start printing until all the cartridges have ink.

Hence, I request you to replace the cartridge which is empty and check.

Also to improve the performance of the printer, you need to update the firmware from the link: Firmware Update

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I took a look and downloaded the update.  If I ever run across a printer cable I'll look into installing that.  There's reason I got wireless, it wasn't so I could move the printer across the room, balance it on the edge of something and plug it in.

It's Wednesday and my ink came so I'll be able to print what I wanted to print several days ago.  I still have magneta, shouldn't that have run out first?

Next time I'm buying a printer, what questions do I ask online to find out if a particular printer will print everything in black ink only when the color is empty?  This one didn't have a problem the other day, I don't even remember what I wanted to print or copy, it just accounced my yellow was empty, do I want to print in black only?  I didnt have a problem until I tried to print pdf.

I didn't even know to ask about this the last time I was choosing a printer.  

HP Recommended

@nonegiven,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you will receive the yellow cartridge today and then try to print.

The magenta color getting empty depends upon how much you print in magenta color.

Also, regarding the printing in single cartridge mode (black only) even if the color cartridge is empty. You can go for the two cartridge printers (which will have one black and one tri-color cartridges). If the tri-color cartridge is empty, then you can remove it and still print in black. These are the envy series printers.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.