Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am only out of yellow ink and can't print.  I change to black with printing options on computer, but pop up comes up on printer stating out of yellow ink.  How do I change settings so I don't use color cartridges at all.  I have all in one, HP officejet pro 8500.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@posterchild wrote:

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7555 with a similar problem, only it still says I'm out of yellow ink after replacing without an HP Yellow/Black cartridge.  It won't let me scan either while it's out of yellow.  

The black/yellow printheads were replaced, it appears you had a low yellow cartridge which was emptied by the servicing needed for a new printhead.  You will need to replace the yellow ink supply as shown here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

The Officejet 8500 uses separate printheads and ink cartridges and needs some ink to keep the printheads from clogging even if they will not be used for printing.  You will need to replace the yellow supply.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7555 with a similar problem, only it still says I'm out of yellow ink after replacing with an HP Yellow/Black cartridge.  It won't let me scan either while it's out of yellow.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@posterchild wrote:

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7555 with a similar problem, only it still says I'm out of yellow ink after replacing without an HP Yellow/Black cartridge.  It won't let me scan either while it's out of yellow.  

The black/yellow printheads were replaced, it appears you had a low yellow cartridge which was emptied by the servicing needed for a new printhead.  You will need to replace the yellow ink supply as shown here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem..The yellow ink cartridge of my HP PHOTOSMART C5180 All in one appears as being empty and i was prompt  to  replace it.So i bought a new one(363 code).Even I replaced it ,i still got the message that the cartidge was empty and need to be replaced..I tryied to unistall and reiinstall the cartridge after i had turn the power off..Still nothing..And then(today)i bought a second one in case it was a problem of the product..I installed it,it gave me the message that a new ink cartridge was installed and i got again the same message:that the  ink cartridge needs to be replaced..

I printed the self test diagnostic page the first time and yellow ink status was "reserve" and ink level "0%".

I also tried turning off the power from the behind of the printer ,but still nothing...

I would appreciate some help here!!!! Thank you

HP Recommended

I will never buy another HP product again.  You believe consumers are so gullible as to accept your explanation for being forced to purchase yellow ink.  I would bet money that this "feature" was not designed by your product development engineers, but by your financial-marketing guys looking for an underhanded way to squeak out another few bucks of profit.  But here I am as a consumer, with a filing deadline looming and plenty of black ink to print my motion, but because I am out of YELLOW ink, I can’t print the document.  Hey here is an idea to profit from your products; make a product that works great and is user friendly.  Lots of people will buy it and you make money.   I have never had this problem with Brother’s products and will purchase from them in the future.  But for now, you got me, I will go out and spend $25-$50 on your YELLOW ink cartridge, and you can slip it into your greasy pockets.

HP Recommended

i have a similar problem, i cannot print in black only when one of the color cartridges is empty.   i have replaced the empty cartridge but I still can't get the printer to print in B&W only.  I have tried setting the appropriate options but without any luck.  can any one help?

HP Recommended

I also feel totally ripped by HP...  Will ***NEVER*** buy anything from HP

Wrong model?  LOL Who want to buy a printer that empty 3 color ink cartriges after printing 200 pages in black color anyway?!?

HP it's the last time you rip me off !!!

HP Recommended

I agree!  I will never buy another HP product again!  I am on a remote job site, in Colombia.  I bought allot of black cartridges with this printer, HP8500 pro. I print allot of drawings, only using black ink!  Now that one yellow cartridge is empty, the printer is no longer useful!  Just taking up space on the shelf!  This should be against the law! 

HP Recommended

I've had my Officejet Pro 8500A for nearly a year now. I always loved it - until now! Apparently we all have the same problem - you can't print in black and white with no yellow ink. I will NEVER buy an HP printer again. Brother products only from here on out. 

I've got a proposal that needs printing, two sick kids, and a business associate counting on me to have that proposal ready for her to pick up later this afternoon. She won't have it. Why? {Content Removed}

Oh, and this fun little game where I had to waste time finding this forum that STILL didn't solve my problem, instead of being able to call tech support without paying $25 ... another black mark against HP. That is just ridiculous. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.