Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How to cancel a print job on my HP Officejet Pro 8610...there is no X or cancel on the LCD display.  How do I cancel the job once it is started?

PC:  Asus desktop; Windows 7; 64 bit process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Bestbill,

There are 2 means to cancel the printjob.

1) You can open the printer spooler (located at the bottom right of your system) and cancel the job from there.

2) You can cancel via the control panel.

•   If you would have notice, when you send a printjob down to the printer, the top of the control panel will show a message "X Now Printing..."
  • Press at this message "X Now Printing...", and it will bring you to the screen with only this message and a "X" at the bottom left.
  • Click at the "X" at the bottom left, and the printjob will be cancelled.

Hope this works.

Although I am an HP employee, I speak for myself.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and press R.  Into the Run window, type services.msc and hit enter.  Browse down to the print spooler service, right click it and select Properties then click on the Stop button.  Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS and delete the job inside this folder - You may need to click a prompt to gain the appropriate authority to open the PRINTERS folder.

Restart the computer and you should find the document(s) have been removed.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

By the time I did all that, if I remembered how, the whole job would be done and paper wasted.  Shouldn't there be a cancel button or icon on the printer display panel to stop printing?

HP Recommended

Hi Bestbill,

There are 2 means to cancel the printjob.

1) You can open the printer spooler (located at the bottom right of your system) and cancel the job from there.

2) You can cancel via the control panel.

•   If you would have notice, when you send a printjob down to the printer, the top of the control panel will show a message "X Now Printing..."
  • Press at this message "X Now Printing...", and it will bring you to the screen with only this message and a "X" at the bottom left.
  • Click at the "X" at the bottom left, and the printjob will be cancelled.

Hope this works.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  This did help.  You have to be quick to see and have small fingers to hit the 'X Now Printing' in order to get the 'X' at the bottom of the display.  But it solved my problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, because HP had increase the print speed for this printer :generic:

HP Recommended

I agree about the frustration created from a lack of an obvious "stop print" button on the printers touch screen.

I hope there is a software update coming soon to correct this shortfall. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

This is a very frustrating design fault in the HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer. No obvious cancel button.

Just then I wasted a big stack of paper because there's no obvious 'kill print job' button. By the time I realised I was printing all the pages of a document and not a small range, the little tiny display thing with the little tiny 'x' to cancel the print job had stopped showing.

Not everyone has the printer near their desk. Some people actually walk to another room to print something. A wasteful print job was in full swing by the time I arrived on the scene to find paper after paper spitting out of this thing.

I tried opening a few menus in the onscreen display but after about 20 seconds and a lot of pages, I just hit the power button and turned off the printer.

Power button. It's an inelegant way to stop a print job. But you will always be able to see it and it will always work. Use it and then restart the printer later.

HP, this is a serious usability issue and I do hope you put a prominent red 'cancel printing' button on the onscreen display (one that doesn't go away) next time there's a software update to the printer.

HP Recommended
Yes this is a very inelegant way as you put it to stop printing, I also got it to stop by opening the cover door to the print cartridges, still the same description though,but it does work.
The problem for me with the power off/restart solution is the amount of ink that is now unnecessarily going to get wasted during the printers prep stage. There goes any of the savings that HP is so proud to advertise.
Let's go software engineers - do your stuff and find a solution! ... thank you in advance.
PS let's go all away and have a pause button as well as a stop button
HP Recommended

Problem solved.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.