Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp all-in-one photosmart c5280

got error message to open door and clear cartridge jam but it isn;t jammed. Replaced cartridges but still the same, any ideas? Thanks Brian

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Brian-122, Greetings!

Thanks for visiting HP forums and I am happy to help 🙂

I understand you are facing a cartridge jam issue on your Photosmart c5280 printer. Here is a document which explains clearly on how to fix this issue: http://hp.care/2byJsPk. The document is headed as “A 'Carriage Jam' or 'Carriage Blocked” but it is the same as the cartridge jam issue that you face.

Even though you may not see any clear jammed paper inside the printer, please look for any small paper debris inside the printer as well as in the rear side of the machine as showed in the document.

Please try those steps and let me know if it helps 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions but after trying them all i still have the same problem although i forgot to mention that the printer also refuses to shut down with the power button. The display reads "shutting down" and i can hear the carridge moving about then when all is quiet and it usually shuts off it doesn't. The display continues to say "shutting down". I'm not sure if this is part of the carridge problem but I thought I better mention it. Just to be clear i pulled the power supply out from the rear and checked the movement of the carridge and it was free. Could not find any debris/paper, and reseated the cartridges. I get rid of the 'open door and clear carridge ' warning by pressing OK and can get -setup-tools-test up which initiates a process which appears to try printing but then stops and the warning appears again. Hope this extra info helps,Brian

HP Recommended

Hello Brian, Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your efforts in doing all the trouble shooting steps.  It looks like you did everything you could. I would add just one more step:

• Power on the printer, take out the cartridges and unplug the power cable from the printer while it is turned on.
  • While printer is powered off, press and hold the power button for about 1 minute.
  • Then plug back the power cable & insert the cartridges when prompted.

Check whether this step helps. I am also sending one additional trouble shooting step as a private message. So please check your private inbox as well.

Cheers!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help, unfortunately i still have a problem, the switching off with the power button was solved but during the reset a message appeared 'hardware failure status' then after the whole procedure and reboot the jam message reapeared although worded differently. I assume the hardware message is as it says and there is something wrong with the hardware meaning something needs replaced. That being the case I will have to get a replacement unless you have an idea that what is wrong is simple to rectify. As I am faced with the replace option I can't damage it any further if you have any suggestions to try before binning it. Thanks again, Brian

HP Recommended

Hello @Brian-122, Thank you for the reply.

Appreciate your spirit to try out more troubleshooting steps 🙂

But at this point, I think we have hit a block and it looks like a hardware failure. It would be better for you to check for other service options. You can also call HP tech support since you had an existing HP printer. You might get some good upgrade options upon your printer depending upon the region from where you are calling.

You can visit http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us again. Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.