Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
D2660 printer
Microsoft Windows Vista

I recently downloaded the up to date drivers for this product. The result has been that the installation procedure stalls when I reconnect the USB connection cable. I have gone through all the HP help procedures, diagnostic doctor etc. very carefully several times without any success.

So I have uninstalled the latest drivers and tried re-installing the original drivers from the CD. Yet again no success regardless of which USB socket I try the printer does not connect to my computer. The installation stalls at the point of reconnecting the USB cable.

I know the D2660 printer is "cheap and cheerful" but it has proved a perfect workhorse for day to day printing. So help please.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@michaelmas42,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your HP Photosmart C4585 All-in-One Printer does not get detected after connecting the USB cable during the software installation process.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: http://hp.care/2ipxgOs     

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Have carried out steps 1 - 11 inclusive meticulously and still have the same problem.i.e the printer does not connect to the computer.  Could it be the port is the problem. At the moment the printer is linked to port" USB Vitual Printer port for USB". 

I had to try adding printer via Windows "Add a Printer" because nothing happened (even after waiting many minutes) when installing the software at the point where the USB lead is connected.

HP Recommended

@michaelmas42,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the USB port is defective. 

Please, try connecting the printer to a different port on the computer and check. If the issue still persists, then you may contact HP phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Have tried every other usb port on the computer without success. But have also noticed that the printer does not respond to the paper feed button on the printer itself as well. So does this mean the printer is dead?

HP Recommended

Meant to say earlier have also tried known good USB lead without success either.

HP Recommended

Hi! @michaelmas42, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after checking with a known good USB port.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Step: 1. Goto C drive-->Windows-->System32-->Spool-->Printers(Right Click and Click on Properties).

Step: 2. Under printer Properties. Click on Security Tab.

Step: 3. Under Group or Username -> Click each one of them and click Edit.
                 Click Allow on all parameters(Permission) and then click on Apply and then click on ok.

Step:4. Restart the system and unplug the power cable from the printer without pressing the power button on the printer.

The issue should be resolved, it's generally because the computer does not allocate the permission for printing. 

Let me know if this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried the steps; all user permissions allowed and still no joy. Printer not in touch with computer - test page did not print. Also buttons on the printer itself are still inoperative. Any further ideas welcome!

HP Recommended

Hi! @michaelmas42, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

Do you see any flashing lights on your printer?

As you mentioned the buttons on the printer are inoperative.

Try performing a reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Reset the printer

1.Press the Power button () to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4.Wait at least 15 seconds.

5.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7.If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button () to turn it on.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot blinking lights on the printer.

I'll watch your reply

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done this several times without any change. i.e. the buttons are still inoperative.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.