Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am trying to run an HP Deskjet 6122 printer through a USB connection to a computer running the Windows 8 operating system.  The operating system recognizes the printer as an "unspecified" device and not as a printer.  It also has 2 categories under the hardware tab in properties for the device - one that says "USB Printing Support," and one that says "hpdeskjet 6122."  Under "hpdeskjet 6122," selecting the "Properties" button and then the "Driver" tab and "Driver Details" button, it says that "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."  I want to use this printer on my Windows 8 computer; is there any way that I can do this?  The HP website does not have an option for selecting the Windows 8 operating system to obtain drivers for this printer (it only goes up through Windows 7), but it is also not in the list of printers which do not support use with the Windows 8 operating system from the HP website.

Sincerely,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I updated the windows drivers list with windows update. It took a while to download. Then I selected deskjet 990c and installed that. Deskjet 6122 works fine now, no problems. 

Don't give up, there is always a way :generic:

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi,

I afraid your printer is not compatible with Windows 8.

As you may find listed below, listed as HP Deskjet 6120 Series which include the 6122 as part of the series:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03457812

The following document also support the exact model as incompatible:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03168175

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I updated the windows drivers list with windows update. It took a while to download. Then I selected deskjet 990c and installed that. Deskjet 6122 works fine now, no problems. 

Don't give up, there is always a way :generic:

HP Recommended

I downloaded the Deskjet 990C driver but mine is not working...:smileyfrustrated:  I really need to get this printer back online.  Totally frustrated with Windows 8!  HELP please.

HP Recommended

@LilCottageSoaps wrote:

I downloaded the Deskjet 990C driver but mine is not working...:smileyfrustrated:  I really need to get this printer back online.  Totally frustrated with Windows 8!  HELP please.

Did you have the printer plugged into the computer while installing the driver for 990c? Did you have the correct port selected?

HP Recommended

How can I download a driver for the deskjet 990C and install it for the deskjet 6122?  When I go to download the driver, it wants to do a windows update instead of just letting me download the driver.  

HP Recommended

Yes, you need to do the windows update. That will bring in the driver for the 990c. 

Dorothea

HP Recommended

Yes, you need to do the windows update. That will bring in the driver for the 990c. 

HP Recommended

We are connecting with a USB port, what port type should it in (LPT or COM)?  We had it connected when installing the driver for 990c.  It does repond now but it prints giberish.

HP Recommended

Did you select USB Port? That would be important.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.