03-25-2013 01:58 AM
I have been using HP Deskjet 6840 thru USB connection. Last year I bought iMac and Time Capsule and installed the printer again thru USB connection. Now I would like to use it wirelessly; I tried installing it thru the CD installer (bought in 2004) but there is always an error. What must I do to install it correctly? I am now using OS X Mountain Lion.
03-27-2013 02:42 PM - edited 03-27-2013 02:42 PM
There is a document, provided by HP, with the steps for connecting the Deskjet 6840 series printer to a Mac OS X Mountain Lion PC. The document can be found by clicking here, however I will also provide the install steps below from the document.
**Make sure the printer is connected to the Time Capsule via a USB cable prior to following steps below.
- Click the Apple menu ( ), and then click Software Update . Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your Mac uses to determine available printer software.
- Click Install . Apple Software Update installs updates on your computer.
- Turn on the printer, and then make sure that it has paper in the tray and that it is in a ready state.
- Make sure that the printer is connected to the wired or wireless network, or is connected to the USB port of a Time Capsule or AirPort Base Station.
- Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
- Click Print & Scan , and then click the plus sign ( ) in the lower left corner of the window.
- Under Nearby Printers , click the name of your printer.NOTE:If your printer is not listed, click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.
- Under Name , click the name of your printer.NOTE:Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction .
- Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.
- Click Add to add the printer to the queue.
- If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
I am not an HP employee.