Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have a deskjet 6980 network printer that i have used for years without issue on a hard wire connection but i recently have had the need to relocate the printer away from my router and use the wireless. When i originally recieved the printer i evidently set up a password which i do not remember now. The wireless function of this printer is disabled and the reset proceedure which i have tried multiple times seems to have no effect on the administrative password. I contacted cust support a few months ago and they were clueless which is ridiculous. I'd hate to think that HP would design a product with a boobie trap that effectively eliminates half of a printers features if you should have the unfortunate luck to forget a password but given that i have seen various posts on the web with this exact issue where no answer has been found i can only imagine some programmer somewhere is having a laugh at HP customers. Please tell me there is a way to do a complete reset which includes the authorization even it it's a firmware re-flash, i would just like to use the printer wirelessly as it was designed to be capable of doing.
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

To reset your printer do this.  Of course you will have to set up the printer again, however you may also have to re-install the software on your computer.

Follow these steps to reset the printer to the factory default settings:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.

3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.

4. Release the Report Page button. 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended
thank you for taking the time to respond but as i mentioned before the standard reset as mentiond in the support literature has no effect on the administrative password and so far HP does not seem to employ anyone in their tech support division with any capability beyond reading said literature. there has to be some notes concering the software and someone with access to notes somewhere in HP, i am quite certain these printers don't just program themselves. there is an answer somewhere even if it means flashing new firmware, i would just like to use the product they way it was designed to be used.
HP Recommended

I found some old notes -- not sure if this will work.  Turn the printer off and unplug the power supply.  Press and hold the power and cancel button while plugging in the power supply.

If that doesn't work, I'll keep looking. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended
Holding power and cancel did not work, i tried as suggested by unplugging power and holding the 2 while reconnecting power and also holding them prior to unplugging with not effect.
HP Recommended

Did anyone reset the password? 

HP Recommended

I just had online chat with HP support about resetting admin password on deskjet 6980.  After he checked with his supervisor the response was that the printer would have been replaced if it was on warranty and that there is no way to reset the admin password.  None of the methods suggested have any effect on the admin password.  I did try the 0000 password in the Bluetooth authorization and it worked but that did not allow changes to anything else.  In summary, if you have a 6980 printer with the "Admin Password : Set", there is no way to change any setting without the password and no way to reset the password.  I also asked if flashing a new firmware might correct the problem...answer was no.

HP Recommended

Press and hold POWER.
Press "X" (Cancel Print) the specified number of times (1)
Press RESUME/FF the specified number of times. (2)
Release POWER
1 2 --> ROM-Dump, P/C, Alignment-dates

Follow the instructions that print the contents of ROM and you can be found
forgotten password.

I did it

HP Recommended

This actually worked. I was searching the Internet for a long time and this last post from arekmal helped. Thanks so much. I posted other sequences I found on other forums for reference

> Test pages
> Press and hold POWER.
> Press "X" (Cancel Print) the specified number of times
> Press RESUME/FF the specified number of times.
> Release POWER
> X RESUME/FF Results
> 0 1 Flower picture (head first)
> 0 3 Alignment (calibration page)
> 0 4 P/C, Page count (diagnostic page)
> 0 7 Paper-indent-exactness?
> 0 8 Infinite "H" test
> 1 1 P/C, Page count, Paper-sizing-dates
> 1 2 ROM-Dump, P/C, Alignment-dates
> 2 0 Pen recovery diagnostic test: light
> cartridge cleaning
> 2 1 Pen recovery diagnostic test:
> Intermediate cleaning
> 2 2 Pen recovery diagnostic test: Intensive
> cleaning
> 3 0 Duplex test
> 3 1 Duplex test on 970Cxi
> 3 1 Flower picture continued
> 4 1 Cartridges identification-dates / filler
> situation
> 8 4 Nozzle pattern test

HP Recommended

I did it too , thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.