07-03-2014 11:48 AM - edited 07-03-2014 11:49 AM
The HP SureSupply site indicates either the 61 or 61XL cartridges are suitable for the Envy 4500. (May be different cartridges numbers if you are outside the US).
HP made some changes to some cartridges. The updated cartridges work in older and new printers, but the older cartridges do not work in some newer printers. See the document here for information.
If you are getting an error message related to "older generation cartridge" I suggest you check the cartridge warranty information in the document here. Cartridge warranty is separate from the printer warranty, typically two years from the cartridge date of manufacture. If the cartridge is under warranty then contact HP or your dealer for a replacement. In the US call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.
Bob Headrick, HP Expert
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)