Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Windows 10.  Same as all else.  I have been able to print one 4X6 photo, (by accident), I started pulling the paper tray out in the middle of a print and pushed it back in.  That was it.  This is a brand new, out of the box printer.  Seriously???  Do I have to send it back?  It will pull from the main tray but that is it.  If I pull the paper out and leave in the 4X6, I am not even trying the 5X7, it says it is out of paper.  There are nine sheets of HP printer paper in the feeder that have just been taken out out the package that was sent with the printer.  Please help.

HP Recommended

In Windows 7, I ran into the same problem. Finally discovered that there is an additional step required to print a picture to 4x6 photo paper. After selecting the options of 4x6 size HP Photo Paper and indicating that the photo should be print to that full page size, it is then necessary to click OPTIONS, and then "Printer Properties" to see additional items.  Go through the various tabs. The first to pick portrait or landscape, for instance, and then for the paper type, the default seems to be Main Tray (Letter); so instead click the pull down menu and select Photo Tray (which shows 4x6 if that photo paper is loaded).  That is the additional step required to print to 4x6 HP Photo Paper.

HP Recommended

I think unless HP comes up with a software upgrade for this, this will be my last HP printer.

HP Recommended

Thanks Varlene you are awesome! You should work for HP. Thanks, it finally works!!!!

HP Recommended

Me, too.  I printed two test photos off when I took it out of the box and now 2 months later, it will not recognise the 4 X 6 paper using any of the solutions shown here.  The reason I purchased this printer was because it had a dedicated photo tray.  What a joke!

HP Recommended

I've tried every solution mentioned on this forum to no avail.  I printed two test photos when I set the printer up two months ago.  Now that I want to print some real snapshots, the printer refuses to recognise that there is paper in the tray.  As I said, I've tried everything suggested, I've taken the paper out and reinserted multiple times, changed paper to another pack I had in case it was damaged paper, used the troubleshooters.  Nothing!  The only reason I purchased the printer was for the dedicated photo tray!  Can someone please tell me what to do?

HP Recommended

Nothing comes up from either of these links.  They go to the "SUPPORT" page and I've answerered those questions 20 times today!  

HP Recommended

I believe that HP7640 does not recognise the photo tray in Windows 10.  Is this possible? 

HP Recommended

I do not have the printer set up with Windows 10, but if you have the Windows 10 driver installed, the envy 7640 should work.  Remember though that just because you select the 4x6 paper in one place, there is probably at least one or more other places where you need to select it by clicking options or properties and then selecting the correct item(s).

For instance, as I wrote above on 12/25/2015 when working with Windows 7, selecting the printing options of 4x6 size HP Photo Paper and indicating that the photo should be print to that full page size, it was still necessary to additionally then click OPTIONS and then "Printer Properties" to see more items that needed to be selected among the various tabs on the next menu pages. On the first tab I had the choice of portrait or landscape, and then there was another tab for paper type with the default set to Main Tray (Letter).  So I needed to click the pull down menu and select Photo Tray (which shows 4x6 if that photo paper is loaded).  Be sure to save your selections. 

Good luck to you.

HP Recommended

I've done all of this.  It will not pick up the paper.  It tries, but can't.  When I have time, I'm returning it to BestBuy under my protection plan and getting a Brother.  My last HP after 40+ years of HP products.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.