Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have followed the recommended procedure but the problem still exists. The printer connected to a home network via modem router.

The printer does not working and returns the error code 0xc18a0106 on the front panel of the printer and the job it is deleting from the que. All catridges were replaced with brand new. Any proposal to resolve this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi demertzy,

Just had this problem on my HP Photosmart C5180 printer.

This is what I have done:

If you get an error message on your printer screen (HP Photosmart C5180) which says " 0xc18a0106 ink system failed ", you'll need to carry out a Master Reset on the printer.

Something usually causes the error to occur and this is usually a failed microchip, out of date chip or interruption when installing a new cartridge and this will have to be rectified before continuing. Most problems are usually from the last cartridge inserted, so start by replacing that cartridge. You will also need to have all cartridges with some ink in them or you'll need to replace any empty ones before continuing. Once the problem cartridge has been replaced, keep it as it may still be ok to use at a later date once the error has been reset.

To reset the printer:
1- Unplug the USB cable from the printer.
2- Press the On/Off button to turn off the printer, unplug the power lead from the printer, press and hold both the "OK" button and the "HELP" button, then plug in the power lead, wait a few seconds and release the two buttons, then press the "On" button.
Your printer will now initialise and you'll need to follow the on-screen instructions and choices on the printer. This may take several minutes to complete. Your error code should now have disappeared and you will now be able to Copy and Print.
3- Replug the USB cable from the printer.

It worked with me...Wish it will work for you.

Robert

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi demertzy,

Just had this problem on my HP Photosmart C5180 printer.

This is what I have done:

If you get an error message on your printer screen (HP Photosmart C5180) which says " 0xc18a0106 ink system failed ", you'll need to carry out a Master Reset on the printer.

Something usually causes the error to occur and this is usually a failed microchip, out of date chip or interruption when installing a new cartridge and this will have to be rectified before continuing. Most problems are usually from the last cartridge inserted, so start by replacing that cartridge. You will also need to have all cartridges with some ink in them or you'll need to replace any empty ones before continuing. Once the problem cartridge has been replaced, keep it as it may still be ok to use at a later date once the error has been reset.

To reset the printer:
1- Unplug the USB cable from the printer.
2- Press the On/Off button to turn off the printer, unplug the power lead from the printer, press and hold both the "OK" button and the "HELP" button, then plug in the power lead, wait a few seconds and release the two buttons, then press the "On" button.
Your printer will now initialise and you'll need to follow the on-screen instructions and choices on the printer. This may take several minutes to complete. Your error code should now have disappeared and you will now be able to Copy and Print.
3- Replug the USB cable from the printer.

It worked with me...Wish it will work for you.

Robert

HP Recommended

Hi demertzi,

I've found three solutions here:

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.com/2010/12/error-code-0xc18a0106-on-hp-photosmart.html

I hope one of these will help you,

Good luck !

HP Recommended

My C5140 had all k ind of problems and codes. I didn't use for almost 2 years. I did the master reset and worked great. Thanks Robert

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!! I was at my witts end trying to fix this printer. I just spent $50 in ink and just kept getting this message!! Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Your technique really worked!!!! Just when I was ready to give up. None of the other troubleshooting  suggestions worked! All the HP people should hide!

Thanks again!

Paul

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks Robert - your suggestion worked. Now I have to figure out why the stupid printer only prints in green

HP Recommended

Had the same error code on a HP C7280 Photosmart all-in-one.

Robert's solution worked at resetting this one too.  I was going nuts until I found this.  All good now.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Screen showsInk system failed.Unable to copy or print.Error code 0xc18a0106 Turn off power then on again.All cartridges are new and have turned on and off many times with no result.Thank You

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE DIRECTIONS. MY PRINTER NOW WORKS AGAIN!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.