Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I prefer to print photos from my computer.  I cannot seem to get the printer to pick up the loaded 4X6 photo paper instead of regular paper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't mean to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs, so please don't take this the wrong way.  I only mean to establish a fixed point from which to proceed.

What follows is a section of the HP help pages for your printer.  I take it that these instructions are not producing the desired results?

Figure 1: Graphic - Load photo paper in the input tray

• On the File menu in your software application, click Print .
  • Make sure the HP Photosmart is the selected printer.
  • Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
    Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties , Options , Printer Setup , Printer , or Preferences .
  • Select the appropriate options.

• On Layout tab select Portrait or Landscape orientation.
  • On Paper/Quality tab select the appropriate paper size and paper type from the Paper Size and Media drop-down lists.
  • Click Advanced to select the appropriate output quality from the Printer Features list.
  •  
    NOTE:For maximum dpi resolution, use Print Quality settings to select Photo Paper and Best Quality . Make sure you are printing in color. Then select the Advanced tab and select Yes in the Enable Maximum dpi setting.
  • Click OK to return to the Properties dialog box.
  • Click OK , and then click Print or OK in the Print dialog box.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Without knowing the printer model it is difficult to be accurate, but try setting the paper type/tray in the print options either globally via 'Control Panel - Printers' and right-click the printer icon, or one document at a time by clicking 'Print...' in the 'File' menu and going into the options page prior to printing.

HP Recommended

My apologies for not including the model.  It's a Photosmart 7510 311a. 

I have tried  changing the preferences thru "my computer" and also in the "file" section to 4X6, etc.  with no success.  That's the conundrum.  When I used the install software to test print the included photo of flowers it worked perfectly. 

I'm hooked up via USB cable, perhaps that has some issue, however, it prints from the computer with no problem so I am perplexed.

HP Recommended

I don't mean to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs, so please don't take this the wrong way.  I only mean to establish a fixed point from which to proceed.

What follows is a section of the HP help pages for your printer.  I take it that these instructions are not producing the desired results?

Figure 1: Graphic - Load photo paper in the input tray

• On the File menu in your software application, click Print .
  • Make sure the HP Photosmart is the selected printer.
  • Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
    Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties , Options , Printer Setup , Printer , or Preferences .
  • Select the appropriate options.

• On Layout tab select Portrait or Landscape orientation.
  • On Paper/Quality tab select the appropriate paper size and paper type from the Paper Size and Media drop-down lists.
  • Click Advanced to select the appropriate output quality from the Printer Features list.
  •  
    NOTE:For maximum dpi resolution, use Print Quality settings to select Photo Paper and Best Quality . Make sure you are printing in color. Then select the Advanced tab and select Yes in the Enable Maximum dpi setting.
  • Click OK to return to the Properties dialog box.
  • Click OK , and then click Print or OK in the Print dialog box.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the note.  While my Windows 7 Photo Print Viewer option bar is not quite like that in the help pages (it seems they never are) the settings are done for printing a photo in Photosmart 7510, 4X6, 600X600 dpi, HP advanced paper, Photo Tray pickup. 

Now for what appears to be the near final report:  I would swear I did nothing different today, changed NO settings and yet......it sucked in the photo tray and printed a photo on the 4X6 photo paper.  Apparently your suggestions sufficiently embarrassed the printer that it responded?  😉 

It is not borderless in that it has about an 1/8" border around the photo but I did not see any option anywhere for borderless?

Thanks for all suggestions and help.  As I stand upon the slippery precipice of geezerhood, noticing the road is all downhill from here, I find I need more help instead of less. 

HP Recommended

Hmm...

It is good that your printer is (mostly) producing the required results now, I just hope things stay that way!

My pet hate is things correcting themselves for no apparent reason - if they go wrong again you have no idea what to do . . . again.

That the pictures are not borderless is curious, but perhaps not disastrous and of you can live with that then it seems all is well.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Ahah!  Looking once again for the "borderless" feature I stumbled upon it in a listing under some "advanced" segment and after two tries found the secret to switch from border to borderless.  I am complete.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.  Now if I could just find the "kudos" button.....

HP Recommended

I'm glad you have managed to find a complete solution to your problem.

As for the Kudos button, you will find it on the left underneath the person's name.

Who would have thought the option to print photos without borders was an 'advanced' option?  Well, all of us HP printer owners, it would seem!  The options in HP's printer software are some of the most comprehensive I have come accross, but they aren't always the most intuative.

HP Recommended

I set photo preferences,I went into properties and set the requirements. and it does print the photos from the file that I select like 4x6 size, but on plain paper it won't select for the 4x6 photo paper tray. But when I do a test print,then it prints on the from the 4x6 paper tray.  Kinda like backwards!! Anybody have any ideas.

thanks,

7will19

HP Recommended

Where do I place the 4 X 6 photo paper to print phot's

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.