Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Trying to setup wireless networking on my Officejet 6500 Wireless

When working thru the configuration, utility reports:

The gateway IP address 0.0.0.0 of the printer does not match your router.  Reconfigure the setting on your printer to match.

How do I do that.  I can't find any mechanism.

I do have Norton firewall, and running some of the [HP printer] utilities complains about it (when I try to troubleshoot), but I have now disabled it, with no luck re-configuring/installing the wireless for the printer.

PC wireless address (VistA) 10.0.1.4

printer 10.0.1.198

default gateway should be 10.0.1.1

primary DNS is 10.0.1.1

network is built onb Airport Extreme, to cable modem.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It sounds like your printer is connected wirelessly to your router (the IP of 10.0.1.198 seems valid).

Your best bet is to set a static IP for the printer and set the gateway at the same time.  Here is how:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP.  Enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank.  This should take care of the error you are getting.

- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

It sounds like your printer is connected wirelessly to your router (the IP of 10.0.1.198 seems valid).

Your best bet is to set a static IP for the printer and set the gateway at the same time.  Here is how:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP.  Enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank.  This should take care of the error you are getting.

- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Great Help ! Not sure why my prt IP addr changed after 3 yrs...this resolved prob.

HP Recommended

I have a HP C4500 series.  Can the WEP be changed to WPA or WPA2 in the printer?  I have not figured out how to get the wireless printer going because linksys had us change it to WPA2/WPA mixed mode and also had us change the ip address instead of what Geek Squad did.

Not being computer savy.  How do you know what the encryption code is before buying it, whether it be a wireless blue ray or anything else. 

let me just say that I believe we had it at WPA and it needed to be changed to WEP.

HP Recommended

You do not want WEP.  It is not at all secure (can be broken in minutes with freeware from the web).

They type of wireless encryption (WEP or WPA) is set by and in the router.  The printer can only adapt.

Let's restore network defaults

1.Press the Wireless button on the product.

2.Press the button next to the down arrow on the display until Restore Network Defaults is highlighted, and then press OK.

3.Confirm that you want to restore the network defaults.

Now, re-install the printer.  You will have to do this by re-running the HP software on your PC:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Printers.  Delete the printer that is already there.

Now, go to Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > C4500 series > Add a Device.  Follow the instructions.  Select Network when it asks for installation type. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Help,  I get so far and then I am unsure.

One of the question is if I want to connect to WPA.  Whereas, by linksys it is listed as WPA2/WPA mixed mode.  Although I answered yes to this.  Then I came upon it can not configure because of a possible firewall and check a UDP!

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

My printer simply stopped working on our network. I then restored the printer to default settings and now the I can't get it back on the network. When running through printers display panel it keeps telling me tha **bleep**'s not connected.

This is an HP 6500 7a that I'm using with Lion - if that helps.

When printing the network configuration page I see nothing spedifically listed as the printers IP address, though the ?URL's for embedded server" reads as http://0.0.0.0 - when typing this address into my browser nothing appears.

I just need to get this thing back online?? Thoughts??

HP Recommended

Yup, I can help.

First, make sure the printer's wireless radio is on.  A blue light is usually lit when it is on.

Next, on the front of the printer go to Setup > Network > Restore Network Defaults.  Next, from the same Network menu run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

If it does not find your network or does not accept your password, let me know.

What router are you using?  What kind of encryption (WEP, WPA, etc)?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

You might soon be my hero:)

So found it all but printer is not accepting my password, though I'm certain that it's the correct one.

The router is WPA2 personal.

thanks.

HP Recommended

OK, WPA2 may be the problem.  Can you change it to WPA or WPA/WPA2?

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.