Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
The setup menu on the printer offers only two options...press a wps butoon on the router or type in a printer pin into the router setup software. My Linksys router does not have a button to push for wps, and the setup config software has no place to enter a pin. In fact I've never come across a router with these options.

The network uses wep open authèntication with a key. How do I setup this printer?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

Just start to install this printer on the computer and choose network as connection type, the software will ask you to connect a usb cable and the network settings will be made through the usb cable, leave it connected until the software tells you to disconnect it.

Regarding WPS, most new routers support this functions, either throug a button or a pin method, my own cheap sitecom router even has a wps button.

Regarding your network security using WEP encryption I suggest that you upgrade to WPA security. WEP is really outdated and is as usefull as no encryption. For example WEP encrytion can be broken with free software within 10 minutes.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi,

In order to set the wireless connection, you should use the Software from your PC.

You will be prompted to temporary connect a USB in order to configure the printer.

If the sofware is not yet installed on your PC, follow the instructions below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02722113

If you already completed the software installationj, you may find the wireless configuration as following:

1. From the computer’s start menu select All Programs or Programs, and then select HP.
2. Select HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series
3. Select Printer Setup and Software Selection
4. Select eighter Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer and Follow the onscreen instructions.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

HI,

Just start to install this printer on the computer and choose network as connection type, the software will ask you to connect a usb cable and the network settings will be made through the usb cable, leave it connected until the software tells you to disconnect it.

Regarding WPS, most new routers support this functions, either throug a button or a pin method, my own cheap sitecom router even has a wps button.

Regarding your network security using WEP encryption I suggest that you upgrade to WPA security. WEP is really outdated and is as usefull as no encryption. For example WEP encrytion can be broken with free software within 10 minutes.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks, hardwiring the printer to a computer with the software disk worked. I would have save d me a lot of grief if HP printed this instruction either on the quick setup document or in the troubleshooting manual. Neither mentioned it.

HP Recommended

Hi, I saw that option, but every time I get to it, it won't recognize that my USB is plugged in! 

So it won't advance...

I'm not sure why HP made this Wireless protection this way.  Very archaic in my estimation!

In any way, do you know why it won't recognize that my USB is plugged in?  It is going through a usb hub, but my computer still recognizes that it is on and READY.

Thanks for your assistance!

HP Recommended
thanks, your info worked great.
HP Recommended

Hi ,

I have a problem that I did not find the solution yet. When moving though all the steps in connection to the wireles, I get to the stage where the system looks for the computer on the network. Inspite the configuration, the blue light , the printout of the HP network configuration page whereeverything seems to be fine, It does not find the printer.

The bar gets to about 70% and stays forever there. The amazing thing is that it worked until yesterday.

over the USB , everything is fine.

Any ideas from the HP support?

HP Recommended

can any one help, need to set up wireless, printer not been in used for a long time and need to use immediately

thanks

HP Recommended

i am so frustrated. i've not been able to configure my laptop to my printer using wireless device. my laptop has windows7 OS. i switched on the wireless devices on both, but still can't connect them to each other. at times i'm prompted to type a network name but don't know wat dat is as nothing of the sort shows on my laptop.

i'm also prompted for WPA sometimes but also don't know wat it is or where to find it.

i haven't been able to print since i got the printer.

so frustrating.

HP Recommended

Having the same issue as this person. Computer makes noise and tries to install drivers when USB is plugged in. That setup process fails and the HP software has no reaction to USB plugged in. Software says plug in USB. Windows reacts. HP software does not. Conclusion? HP software is garbage.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.