Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP office jet pro 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hp 8500 ran printer until it was completely out of ink, installed new cartridges,  now it won't print

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi sam-help, 

Thank you for your response! 

Please double-check that all the steps in this guide have been completed, Color or Black Ink Not Printing. If this guide does not resolve the issue the next step is to replaced the printhead. 

Please contact HP phone support for further assistance. They can check the warranty of the printhead. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

If this helps, please consider clicking on 'accept as solution.' And, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this information helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @sam-help

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I understand that you cannot print with your HP Officejet 8500 printer. I am happy to help! 

What happens when you try to print? Do you get blank pages? Paper jams? 

How is the printer connected, wireless, or USB? 

Do you see any error messages on the printer's display screen? 

For now, please try our HP Print and Scan Doctor, and let me know what happens!

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

When I print I only get  Black and Magenta,  No Cyan and Yellow.

I ran the clean printheads Many times with only getting the black and magenta.  I also remove the printheads and cleaned them by hand with warm water. Still the same.

The printer is connected wireless, and know error messages.

What happened :  The printer ran out of Cyan and Yellow, but the printer was still used constantly for about a week.  At this time a installed all new ink cartridges and thats when I started trying to fix it.

I hope this helps.  I fell that the printheads can't prime itself. But who am I to say. LOL

HP Recommended

The exact model is

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier All-in-One Printer - A909n

HP Recommended

Hi sam-help, 

Thank you for your response! 

Please double-check that all the steps in this guide have been completed, Color or Black Ink Not Printing. If this guide does not resolve the issue the next step is to replaced the printhead. 

Please contact HP phone support for further assistance. They can check the warranty of the printhead. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

If this helps, please consider clicking on 'accept as solution.' And, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this information helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ran all tests with having the same result's. Warranty is well over.  But I do have a second working 8500a printer, so I took the printheads out of both, switching them which moved the problem to the other printer, Then I checked the wight of the printheads and found the 2 head that are not working is lighter then the ones that are working.  With that said I am comfortable saying that the bad printheads are out of ink.  At this point I ordered the tools and bulk ink so I can clean and refill the heads.  I'll let you know if it works or not.  If it don't work I will replace both heads.

HP Recommended

Yesterday I received the tools and ink to be able to fill the print heads.  Last night I filled the 2 printheads with ink,  reinstalled both printheads,  ran the print alignment and clean printheads. printer is working great.

I will say that I used generic ink. and I don't recommend using that ink in normal conditions,  But the Hp ink cost about $35.00 a bottle 4 bottle, that would cost $140.00 The tools cost $9.00.  the generic ink cost $24.00 for all 4 colors. 

It would be cheaper to buy 2 new Printheads then to buy HP ink.

HP Recommended

Hi! How does one clean the printheads?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.