Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@tyson1, you can give HP @8004746836 and see what options they have to replace or repair the unit.

HP Recommended

I have two broken hinges. how can I get in touch w/them to get it replaced?

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  I had purchased the J6480 in 08.  The hinge broke months ago.  I tried to call before but they just said...out of warranty...bye.  I called again just a bit ago and they gave me free shipping and an extended warranty for $1.00 on an AIO Pro 8600 Plus.  It has everything I want on it.  They also gave me a discount because it was a replacement.  Appreciate your help.  🙂

HP Recommended

@tyson1, I would follow the post I made mentioning to call HP. 

@lattinlady, Glad I could help resolve the issue! 🙂

HP Recommended

One poster wrote he got a fix at home depot but didn't to into any detail as to what the fix is.  If someone could tell me what was purchased at home depot to fix the hinge on my J6480 that broke during a cartridge change I would really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

First--what happens it that the springs in the lower part of the hinge break the plastic holding them down and rise up and become and interference factor.  Get rid of the springs and you can epoxy on a hardware store hinge on the outside.  I just took out the springs by sawing off the top of the lower hinge, others mentioned popping off with a screwdrivewr, but  I didn't know what was in there and used a dremel tool.  My printer works fine with only one functioning hinge,,if the other one breakss, I will epoxy!

HP Recommended

HI Gnatt, 

I was the early post with the brass hinges.  All I did was to remove the existing hinges with a screwdriver per the gmross reply on page 1 of this thread.

Then used very coarse sandpaper to rough up the glue area for the hinges on the back of the printer.

The hinges were literally brass cabinet hinges.  Nothing special just make sure they are big enough for the weight.

Then 5 minute epoxy or any product that will work on plastic and metal.  There are many different brands but all achieve the same thing for about $5.

Obviously have to be careful to contain the epoxy to that area with no drippage etc.  Can't remember if I taped around it but as long as you keep it out from between the lid and the glass top (and the actual hinge itself), you should be fine.

Allow to cure for an hour or 2.  Then should be good.

That was almost 2 years ago.  Printer still functioning just fine.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Awesome. I am back up and running. Thank you!

HP Recommended
Thank you! Removing left hinge this morning - got your solution just in time as am leaving apt to friends who also need the printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.