Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm a real estate agent and I depend on the my HP printers for my business but having recently purchased the ENVY 7645, I have to agree with the entire negative thread regarding the "Offline" experience with my new ENVY 7645.  I might as well not even have a printer.  First month things worked well.  Now I have to load everything on a stick and drive to Staples...where I purchased the ENVY 7645...to get my documents printed.  That costs me money, embarrassmenet in front of clients and word-of-mouth business.

If HP does not come up with a PERMANENT fix, then I'm gone.  I cannot afford lose business then spend money and time on something that does not work and that the manufacturer will not stand behind.  If HP won't support its products I'm no longer going to use HP products.  Their advertising is glitzy but their performance...in this instance....is seriously lacking. Maybe they should think about bringing Ms Firoina back!!

I hope someone at HP is reading and heeding...someone who CAN.  I'll check back to read the forum in 7 days.  God created the world in that time and rested.  If HP can't at least fix one of its own products in that time.  I'm gone.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @BBLHD

First and foremost, welcome to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your Envy 7640! There is more to consider than the HP printer alone, the offline message could be a result of the router, computer, or printer. Let's work towards identifying the issue so that we can resolve it! Is the printer configured wirelessly, or is it connected with a USB cable? 

Please choose the appropriate link below based on your operating system and version and complete all the suggested solutions:

'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Windows 7

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows Vista

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Mac OS X

Please be sure to let me know the outcome of your efforts and allow me the opportunity to continue working with you if the issue persists! If this resolves the issue, kindly click the Accept as Solution button below so others can see what worked for you. 

Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I'm also a Realtor and I JUST BOUGHT this piece of garbage LAST WEEK.  Thank God I still have the receipt and the box.  It's GOING BACK!!  I tried clicking on your "link" only to find that I got a 404 Error No such page found!

Thanks a LOT HP!

HP Recommended

I clicked on the link, "'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)", and also got a 404 page not found.

I notice that there was no reply from HP to the last post who got a 404.  What is going on HP?  selling a shoddy product is one thing... ignoring customer complaints is another.  

My next printer will NOT be HP.

HP Recommended

I thought I had solved my problem a week ago by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver and software but the offline problem came back today.  It may have been related to the scan that I did from the printer (on its console) to my computer.

I rebooted my PC, and restarted the printer.  That resolved the issue... for today.  I fully expect the issue to come back, but at least I can avoid uninstalling and reinstalling software if the reboot and restart of PC and printer work in future.

I am one of those unlucky people who also had issues with the "whistling/hissing" power block on the printer, so maybe this is related somehow.

All in all, I very frustrated by this poor quality printer, and really wish HP would owne up to the fact that it's a lemon and issue a recall.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  It's all fine when I first boot the printer.  It shows as online on my Windows 10 laptop as well as hpconnected.com.

After some time (could be a few hours or a few days) it shows as offline on my laptop.  The printer is still online, with the same IP address and still shows online at hpconnected.com.  When I reboot the printer, it comes back online in Windows.

Sometimes I have to reboot the printer several times in one day.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver - no change.  I remember having this issue with Windows 8.1 before I upgraded, and I think I fixed it by disabling a specific service - not the print spooler obviously, but I think there was an HP service that I disabled.  Unfortunately, I can't find the link to that solution.

Any NEW suggestions to eliminate the need to constantly reboot the printer would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

i clicked on the following suggested link trying to resolve the issue

'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10) but after clicking link I get an error message, appreciate any suggestions

HP Recommended

I've had similar problems over he past 12 months, but in the last 2 months or so, it seems to have resolved itself.  Btw: my issue was on Windows 10.  I think the bug fix came from a recent update to the HP Envy software that I reinstalled.  I think HP has finally figured out the issue, but it certainly took them a long time.  I recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the printer software.  Go online to find the latest version.

HP Recommended

my HP Envy 7640 was working just fine but then out of nowhere it said printer was offline and wouldn't print.   * I'm running Windows 10 and my printer is setup under wireless. I've researched and tried SEVERAL things then I tried the steps you suggested for "printer offline and not printing for Windows 10"  It did install a driver but now the printer in control panel shows "Microsoft IPP Class Driver (Network)"  (?)   - in control panel my "HP Envy 7640" with picture of printer is grayed out - but I do have a "HP Envy 7640 (copy 1) pic so I set it as my default printer.  I actually tried printing under all 3 and nothing. I have been without a printer on my HP Pavilion 550-150 computer for about 5 months.  I'm able "most of the time" to print from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone but I REALLY need my printer to work on my computer!  If I can't get it fixed SOON I will be purchasing a new printer and prob not an HP because of all the issues. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.