Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Working with Window 7 on a Gateway DX-4870.

I have a HP 4500 just bought in April and straight out of the box it has been making a banging/clunking sound from the ink cartridge area.  The ink cartridge slot stall hits up against the right wall a few times and whatever is behind it keeps pushing it in and out also and then finally after a couple of minutes of all this banging and clunking it stops.  It seems to print okay.

Any ideas before I return it and look for something else??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The encoder strip (the clear plastic strip running the length of the printer above the carriage rod) could be dirty causing the carriage to not read the proper end point and colliding with the printer.

This can be cleaned but usually isn't the case on such a new printer unless it has had a lot of printing.

One small thing to check is to make sure that the printer is plugged into a wall outlet and not a stip to eliminate a power issue which can cause weird issues. 

Does it do this on a copy from the printer and also a print from the computer?  Is the noise the same from each?

I was an HP employee.

Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

It sounds like there is either something foreign inside the printer or the hardware is defective. Can you open the access area and look inside with a flashlight?

I was an HP employee

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Open the cartridge access door and let the cartridges come to the center.

With it still on, pull the power cord out of the rear of the unit.

No slide the carriage back and forth with your hand and see if you notice any obstructions.

Then slide it to the left and look into the right side and maybe use a flashlight to help you.

Reply back with what you find.

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Did as asked and I can't see anything the looks like it's obstructing it's movements and it seems to slide fine.
Any other suggestions?
HP Recommended

The encoder strip (the clear plastic strip running the length of the printer above the carriage rod) could be dirty causing the carriage to not read the proper end point and colliding with the printer.

This can be cleaned but usually isn't the case on such a new printer unless it has had a lot of printing.

One small thing to check is to make sure that the printer is plugged into a wall outlet and not a stip to eliminate a power issue which can cause weird issues. 

Does it do this on a copy from the printer and also a print from the computer?  Is the noise the same from each?

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended
By jove, I think you've got it. I did have it plugged into a surge protector. I have changed it to a wall outlet and seem to be fine. Always thought all those answers about changing the plug to a wall outlet were just way to offer somebody an answer when people didn't have a clue as to what was wrong. Now I know better..
THANKS AND KUDOS are coming your way.
HP Recommended

We see all kind of weird issues resolved by doing that. Glad it worked for you. 

Thank you for your patience.

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

When I went out a couple weeks ago to buy another ink cartidge I left the printer on with the cover down.  It was the only way the carriage would stay to the right.  Because I turned of the color cartridge a couple years ago, I just took out the black (901). 

When I got back about 20 minutes later, the printer was in sleep mode and the carriage was to the left. When I hit the power button; the carriage slid to the right and I put in the 901 cartridge. 

When I was going through the alignment process I starting hearing a very load banging in the direction of the carriage.  After a minute or so the banging stops and the carriage quietly moves to the left. 

Having 20 years of trouble-shooting Sonar in the navy, I started to investigate.  I found the problem right away but don't see how to fix it. 

The black plasic gear toothed rail that the carriage rides left and right on had 2 or 3 gear teeth missing and I could see the very small scattered shavings to either side of the rail.  I powered down and back up to verify.

After putting up with that god awful banging the carriage, so far, has then operated normally.  Although I have not tried to scan anything yet, just print.  Paying only $69 for the printer, it is probably not worth trying to fix, so when I get aggravated enough,  I'll just buy another inexpensive printer...........HP?  Maybe, maybe not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.