Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I would start with message 53 of this thread if you don't want to read the whole thing.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Thank you so much.

I followed your print head cleaning suggestions to the letter.

When I tried to print, a little bit of black letters showed on paper.

I repeated the whole process as second time.

Victory!  A nice clean output at last.

Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Very good to hear!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I am hoping I can help others because I just spent a lot of time (1 week) trying to resolve this same issue.  This also happened to me about 2 years ago, but then all of a sudden, I was able to print "black ink only" again. 

Recently, I renewed by Norton Anti-virus, which I also did 2 years ago.   I prefer to print everything in black in order to conserve the colored ink due to the expense.  Anyways, my not being able to print "black only" started the same night I renewed my Norton.  Strange......very strange indeed.  So today I went to hp.com/support and tried uploading drivers, etc.  Then I came upon a "firewall" icon within this support page.  I learned that my Norton firewall and Microsoft firewall were both turned on and it states somewhere in that support section that when two firewall programs are both turned"on", this can cause a conflict within the computer system.  So, I turned off my Microsoft firewall (in the Control Panel under "action center"), hoping my Norton's firewall protection will be strong enough. 

Guess what folks.......I can now print in "black ink" only...yeah!!!......I cannot believe this!  So 2 years ago when this same thing happened, I bet it happened when I was renewing my Norton.  Nothing against the Norton Internet Security program at all, it is just that somebody who doesn't understand everything about computers, like me, would never think that a "firewall" would create printing issues.  I'm very surprised nothing about this came up in this Support center.

When I wasn't able to use Black ink only because nothing was printing whatsover, I did discover that if I changed my paper setting to "Advanced Photo Paper", I could at least print color and black...yes very strange indeed.   It cost me a lot in ink though.  

For the past 2 years I've had my computer settings on plain paper, Black Ink - Enabled and the  Gray Scale in "Black Ink only".............and now I am back to this and my firewall is turned on via Norton and off via Windows and everything is all back to normal. 

Please check out in the hp.com/support  what it states about firewalls.  I know this has been very frustrating; I was ready to go out and buy a new printer.   I love my officeject 6500A Plus all in one printer and I am hoping others reviewing all  of these posts and who happens to read this will try this and let us know in this blog if this has helped.   Good Luck!

HP Recommended

@Breaks007 wrote:

[snip] 

For the past 2 years I've had my computer settings on plain paper, Black Ink - Enabled and the  Gray Scale in "Black Ink only".............and now I am back to this and my firewall is turned on via Norton and off via Windows and everything is all back to normal. 

Please check out in the hp.com/support  what it states about firewalls.  I know this has been very frustrating; I was ready to go out and buy a new printer.   I love my officeject 6500A Plus all in one printer and I am hoping others reviewing all  of these posts and who happens to read this will try this and let us know in this blog if this has helped.   Good Luck!

The pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If you select photo paper in the driver the "black" areas on the page will be made by mixing color inks.

Thanks for the tip about Norton and the firewalls, I had not seen that before.  It could help some folks.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

After the continuing problems with the 6500 709E and the huge expense of the cartridges, I have never enjoyed putting anything in the trash as much as this printer. HP be damned.

HP Recommended

Thanks!  That worked somehow, although a previous cleaning did not.

HP Recommended

Another winner. Thank you. Another tip is when shaking the cartridge ink will splash everywhere. Suggest doing this part outside.  Rubbing alcohol takes ink off skin.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Since I had replaced my black ink cartridge, my printer don't print black.  The solution it's to take an isopropyl alcohol swabs to wash the small rubber gray where the black ink cartride are installed into the printhead and now i can print black.

HP Recommended

Shane_R,

Thanks for posting that link to https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-printer-cart...

I had to go through the print-head soaking routine twice but I finally got ink on paper.

I think I might soak the print head once a year as a preventive measure. When I took the print head out, it was coated all over with dried ink. It was a mess! The printer is at least five or six years old.

Thanks again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.