Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just opened a brand new officejet 6700 that I have had in the box for a couple months. Installed well and was able to align printheads. Now the printer is giving an error saying "missing or failed printhead" these are the print cartridges that cam e with it and were newly opened today. The expiration is 2014. Thoughts?

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

1) take out cartridges
2) take out printhead
3) disconnect power and USB cable from back of printer while turned on
4) move power cord to wall
5) clean the electrical contacts on the carriage, printhead, and cartridges with water and coffee filter
6) power on unit without parts
7) when it says "missing or failed printhead" reseat JUST the printhead and see if it detects it
     if it does install cartridges and enjoy! if not contact HP

HP Recommended

How do you take out the printhead on officejet 6700? I get a message "Missing or Failed Printhead"

HP Recommended

I am including a link look at solution three for steps on removing printhead.

Click here for link.

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

The link in your reply does not show removing the printhead in the officejet 6700 as I have in my office.  Perhaps the design changed in the interim.  is there another source of information for  removing and cleaning it?

thanks

HP Recommended
@neonmoon
To get the steps on removing the printhead click on the first error code listed and solution two is remove and clean printhead.

Let me know how it goes.
HP Recommended

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. The link provided does not show the printhead mechanism that exists in my 6700. There is NO lever on the printhead carriage to release the printhead. And there is no other mechanism  visible to remove the printhead.  It would appear that only a complete teardown of the machine woud allow the printhead to be removed. If there were a simpler method, I would certainly like to know of it. At this point, however, I will probably tinker with it for a couple more days and if I cannot get it removed, it will go back to Costco and I will move on to another brand.

HP Recommended
@neonmoon
I went and took a look at a Officejet 6700 printer and it doesn't have a removable printhead. If you are interested I am providing contact information to Hp at the bottom of the post. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
HP Recommended
I will be interested to know if HP will replace as I had the same problem and when I read the warranty it says one year only if printhead is removable. It looks like I will need to replace the machine I've had only a few months. Raw deal.
HP Recommended
@campbellsk
Do you have the same printer?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.