09-22-2012 12:28 PM
I just opened a brand new officejet 6700 that I have had in the box for a couple months. Installed well and was able to align printheads. Now the printer is giving an error saying "missing or failed printhead" these are the print cartridges that cam e with it and were newly opened today. The expiration is 2014. Thoughts?
09-22-2012 03:09 PM
1) take out cartridges
2) take out printhead
3) disconnect power and USB cable from back of printer while turned on
4) move power cord to wall
5) clean the electrical contacts on the carriage, printhead, and cartridges with water and coffee filter
6) power on unit without parts
7) when it says "missing or failed printhead" reseat JUST the printhead and see if it detects it
if it does install cartridges and enjoy! if not contact HP
12-30-2012 10:51 AM
The link in your reply does not show removing the printhead in the officejet 6700 as I have in my office. Perhaps the design changed in the interim. is there another source of information for removing and cleaning it?
01-02-2013 11:04 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. The link provided does not show the printhead mechanism that exists in my 6700. There is NO lever on the printhead carriage to release the printhead. And there is no other mechanism visible to remove the printhead. It would appear that only a complete teardown of the machine woud allow the printhead to be removed. If there were a simpler method, I would certainly like to know of it. At this point, however, I will probably tinker with it for a couple more days and if I cannot get it removed, it will go back to Costco and I will move on to another brand.
01-02-2013 03:59 PM
I went and took a look at a Officejet 6700 printer and it doesn't have a removable printhead. If you are interested I am providing contact information to Hp at the bottom of the post. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.
HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
01-17-2013 11:54 AM
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)