Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This issue seems to be related to Adobe  CS5.  I had this issue from around the time I received CS5 for Christmas, installed on an older PC.  I got a new PC, but did not immediately install CS5.  A month went by, then I needed to use CS5, so I installed it.  The error message was back the next time I tried to print & has been there every time since.  I am able to work around it by pressing "Cancel" .  The machine will start to print almost immediately.

I, too, am on my last HP printer & most likely my last HP product of any sort.  For HP tech support to be unaware of how to correct this problem for the 6 months I've been trying to correct it is unforgivable.  They should have had this figured out within the first couple of weeks after it first appeared.  From reading the forum, it seems to have been around for years.

The other factor in leaving HP behind for printing is that they have caused the very expensive ink cartridges to empty much more quickly than in the past.  My last set of 4 cartridges on the c309a lasted only 5 weeks.  This is on a home-use machine that prints a ream of output over a 6-month period.  In times past, that set of 4 cartridges would have lasted for about 4 months.

HP Recommended
Thank you. This worked.
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this solution....reboot takes a while to complete, but it all worked out.

HP Recommended

The reset did indeed clear the error - ONCE for me.  What I did is to insert both a USB stick and a CF card.  I got a slightly different mesage to remove the memory device, so I unplugged the USB stick and the printer read the CF card and worked!  Hopefully this will stick, though it's certainly a much faster fix than the reset.

HP Recommended

Tried the 'reset'. Never got a screen to 'continue' after the printer restarted.

HP Recommended

Amazing...for less than 5 minutes. I was going thru the WiFi setup to connect it to my home network, then BAM! There it was again. The exclamation mark within the yellow triangle followed by "USB Device Not Compatible. Remove USB device from printer." And, like before, there is NO USB Device attached -- not a USB Flash Drive, not a USB Cable, nothing. I wonder what the trigger (or triggers) is/are. Very frustrating.

HP Recommended
I simply connected my laptop usb directly to printer. I then shut down my laptop unplugged usb from back of printer and setup wireless network and it worked. Crossing my fingers this does the trick. So far so good..
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.