Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

getting ink system failure on officejet 6500, changed cartridges, turned on and off

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am writing this for anyone experiencing an INK SYSTEM FAILURE message.  I use a 6500A and my wife has a 7500A wide carrige. The 7500A came up with an ink system failure. I tried everthing recomended with no luck.  My wife needs a working printer more than I do so I switched them out.  Since the power supplies are identical I left them in place.  Guess What?  The 6500 came up with an INK SYSTEM FAILURE as soon as it was powered by the 7500 power supply.  I switched the power supplies and everthing works great.  I tested the 7500 on the 6500 power supply and no ink system failure anymore.   I have not measured the voltage on the power supply which seems to cause the ink system failure but I recommend you try a new power supply before you buy a new print head.  Check ebay and amazon for a nice price. 

Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I am writing this for anyone experiencing an INK SYSTEM FAILURE message.  I use a 6500A and my wife has a 7500A wide carrige. The 7500A came up with an ink system failure. I tried everthing recomended with no luck.  My wife needs a working printer more than I do so I switched them out.  Since the power supplies are identical I left them in place.  Guess What?  The 6500 came up with an INK SYSTEM FAILURE as soon as it was powered by the 7500 power supply.  I switched the power supplies and everthing works great.  I tested the 7500 on the 6500 power supply and no ink system failure anymore.   I have not measured the voltage on the power supply which seems to cause the ink system failure but I recommend you try a new power supply before you buy a new print head.  Check ebay and amazon for a nice price. 

Hope this helps someone else.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this David

Is there anything at all that's different with the power supplies? (different part no.s or manufacturers)

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

The replacement power supply I purchased was HP branded and the same part number as the original.  It  was listed as a NEW item from a third party I found on either ebay or amazon.   I hope that helps.  Did this solve the problem for you or anyone else?

HP Recommended

I transported my officejet 6500 via car, packed in it's original packaging, but I didn't remember to put a piece of cardboard inside the printer to hold the printhead in place. It was working bueatifully prior to  transport.  when I got to my destination and took it out of the box I realized I didn't have the cord. My brother lended me his cord from his non-working HP printer/fax and I plugged it in and got an 'ink system failure' message in the led. The scanner still works. After going back home, I got my original cord, plugged it into the officejet 6500 and i still got the  same  'ink system failure' message.

I will try purchasing another cord and see what happens. Any other suggestions? 

HP Recommended

Hello R777,

I understand you are seeing an "Ink System Failure" message on your Officejet 6500. I may be able to find a troubleshooting document for you for this issue, to hopefully work through the problem. I would like to ask you to first reply to me with which model of 6500 you have, please.

HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer - E710a
HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n

HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a
HP Officejet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - E709n
HP Officejet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - E709q

How Do I Find My Model Number?

Hope to hear back soon!

Regards,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you, Rainbow 7000, for responding to my inquiry regarding the 'ink system failure on my printer. The model number is E709a All-in-One-Printer, 6500 series. I would really welcome any solutions to try. Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi R777,

Thanks for your model number. I have found a specific guide for you. I hope this helps. Below, click on the link, you will see options asking you if you see an error code, if you see one, choose the closest error code, if not, select "No code displays", and follow the troubleshooting steps.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458034

Good luck to youSmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have tried to use the trouble shooting guide in the link you posted for my Ink system Failure.  However, when I try to run the utility to clean the print heads nothing happens- the printer doesn't do anything and no page prints out... none of the other steps seem to make a difference (I have not invested in replacing the print head, yet).  Any information on why the clean print head won't work?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.