Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got an HP Photosmart 5514 printer along with a Macbook Pro for Christmas. When I tried to connect the computer to the printer at home it worked just fine and I never had any issues with it. However, I have just moved to Boulder, CO and I tried to connect my computer to the printer and it will no longer work. I know that the printer is connected to the internet because if I use the ePrint feature I can e-mail things to the printer and they will print. However, when I try to find my printer wirelessly on my computer, iPhone, or my iPad none of them can find the printer. I'm not for sure what's going on and it seems like I have tried everything... Please help!!

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

What brand and model is the router?

Some routers have what is called a guest network.  Guest networks can look identical to another network, but it is a separate network and the real network and the guest network cannot communicate.

Clear the network settings of the printer by going to Setup>Wireless>Restore Network Defaults.

Once that is done, go back to the wireless menu and run the Wireless Setup Wizard again making sure to connect it to the same network name (SSID) as the other devices.

It sounds like the printer is behaving as if it is on a different network since Airprint does not find the printer and it cannot be found by the computer.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I am using a school router so it does have two networks (UCB Wireless and UCB Guest). But, I just cleared all of the settings and made sure it was on the same network as my computer and my iPad. Still neither one can find the printer.

HP Recommended

School networks are typically setup very similar to enterprise networks with advanced security measures in place.

Airprint, what the iPad uses, may not find the printer as Airprint uses Multicast (also called mDNS or Bonjour).  Multicast is dependent on the network equipment in use and it is often times disabled as it is a common attack vector making it a security risk.

Mac OS X, over the past few years, also supports adding printers using Airprint.  Again, this method of adding can be an issue if Multicast is disabled (most enterprise networks, and college networks, have it disabled).  

What OS X (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, etc.) is being used?

Are you trying to add the printer by going to Print and Scan and adding a printer?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I am using Mac OS X 10.7.4 and yes that is how I am trying to find the printer. I also tried to install the HP Installer again for my printer and that program cannot find the printer either. 

HP Recommended

It really sounds like the printer and devices may be on a separate subnet (or something else is interfering with the communication).

Again, just going to Print and Scan and adding a printer typically won't work as most schools have Airprint disabled in one way or another.

Is there any third party firewalls installed?

On the Mac, go to Apple Menu>System Preferences>Network.  Once there, select your connection method (network or wifi).  If it is Ethernet, it will list the IP information automatically.  If it is WiFi, click on Advance and then TCP/IP to see the IP information.

What is the Mac's IP address and subnet mask?  This is internal address information and is not accessible by itself outside of the network.

On the printer, press Wireless and then Print Info.  

What is the printer's IP address and Subnet Mask?

Signature
HP Recommended

For the Mac: 

IPv4 Address: 10.203.4.104

Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0

For the Printer: 

IP Address: 10.203.14.46 

HP Recommended
I just manually changed the IP Address on the printer to the same one as the Mac and the computer still couldn't find it.
HP Recommended

For the Mac: 

IPv4 Address: 10.203.4.104

For the Printer: 

IP Address: 10.203.14.46 

This will be the problem.  They are on separate networks.  The Mac's address is 10.203.4.104 with a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0.  This is a Class A address that is borrowing several host bits to divide the network even further.  The IP range for the Mac's IP address is 10.203.4.1 - 10.203.7.254.  The printer's IP address is 10.203.14.46.  For all intents and purposes, they are on separate networks.

Unfortunately, the only ones that can resolve this for you is the school's IT department.

Just to clarify, setting the exact same IP address as the Mac on the printer simply will not work.  Each device has to have a unique IP address or there will be an IP address conflict preventing one of the two devices from working at all on the network.  I would recommend setting the printer back to defaults as the IP address from the Mac more than likely will not work on the printer since it is on a different subnet (network).  You can try using an IP address that is close to the Mac's, such as 10.203.4.105, but this could cause other issues as I have no way of knowing if any of the IP addresses are in use.

There is a work around that will allow printing with basic options.

On the Mac, you could use the ePrint Mobile Driver.  This can be found by logging into your ePrintCenter account.  Once logged in, scroll down and there will be a link to it on the right hand side of the page.  Download and install it.  During the installation, it will ask for an email address.  Enter your personal email address and a pin will be sent to it.  The installation should be waiting to enter that pin.  Once that is entered, the mobile driver is setup.  The first time you try to print using it, you will need to add the printer by using it's ePrint address.

For the iPad, you can use the HP ePrint app which is free in the App Store.  Once it is installed, you will need to add the printer.  Here is a link to the support page for the app and this includes how to add printers and registering the app.

As long as ePrint is functioning, both of the workarounds should work.

Signature
HP Recommended

My printer - HP 4780 wireless cannot find my iMac, after upgrading to 10.82.  What,s this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.