Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

officejet 6500 stopped printing black

get alignment failure message

have tried new black cartridge

cleaned the jets

removed and cleaned the print heads

aligned the print heads

reinitialized printer - unplugged - held down # and 3 keys

all three color cartridges are empty and I print everything with black ink only/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The alignment will always fail if there is no ink in the colour cartridges. All cartridges need in k in them inorder to complete an alignment routine.

>(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
If my answer was helpful please click the Thumbs Up.
If your problem is solved please click the Accept as Solution button so other forum users can use the solution.---->

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

The alignment will always fail if there is no ink in the colour cartridges. All cartridges need in k in them inorder to complete an alignment routine.

>(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
If my answer was helpful please click the Thumbs Up.
If your problem is solved please click the Accept as Solution button so other forum users can use the solution.---->

HP Recommended

I replaced the color cartridges and the alignment was successful and printing with the black ink now works.

Thank you for your help.

JerryZ43

HP Recommended

I have tried everything including changing the print cartriges.  My printer will not print correctly and prints very large fonts and prints all cockeyed and wont print a word document

HP Recommended

and it won't print from a word document

HP Recommended

Hi ktravis89

I understand the printer is printing large fonts and isn't printing properly. Will not print from Word.

Print a configuration report to see if it prints correctly. Click Here.

This way we will know if it is hardware or a software issue.

I have included a document for printing issues.

Solution six: Print and evaluate a Print Quality Diagnostic Report.

Please scan it, print screen and post it so I can view it.

I would download and run the Print and Scan Doctor to fix common printing and scanning problems.

Please provide the following information so I can assist you better.

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?

How is the printer connected? (USB/ethernet/wireless)

What operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system for Windows.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Printer was working fine, changed the black cartridge and now black ink won't print. The cartridge heads have all been cleaned but I get a failure message when I try to align the cartridges. I have gone through all of the steps on the "Fixings Streaks..." document you attached and still have the same problem. When I print the Print Quality Diagnostic Report I get all of the colored boxes and lines without a problem (including the black boxes around the colored squares at the bottom) but none of the black text at the top is printing.

All cartridges are HP Cartridges and the printer is directly conned with a USB cord to my laptop.

Please advise on next possible steps.

HP Recommended

Hi Jlimonta,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are not able to print in black after changing the black cartridge. I will be happy to help you.

I wasn't sure if you manually cleaned the printheads or through the software. So I have provided a document for a 'Printhead Problem' or 'Printhead Appears to be Missing or Damaged' Message Displays on the Control ... which shows you how to manually clean the printhead to see if we can resolve this issue.

You may try soaking the printhead. I included the post from @Bob_Headrick to see if this will unclog the printhead. Soaking Printhead.

If you are still having issues I would call HP Tech Support to inquire about a replacement  black cartridge. If that doesn't resolve the issue it could be hardware and if the printer is still in warranty then I would be inquiring about a replacement printer. Contact HP Worldwide.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Gemini02 referenced my post on cleaning the printhead but did not provide a link, he was likely refering to this post.  Alignment will fail if black and color are not printing properly.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.