Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Of course!  Just about a month ago.

HP Recommended

Probably too late now, but you can look for the link to email the ceo's office at HP and let them know what you've gone through.  They seem to want to clean up 'messes' like this.

HP Recommended

I resolved my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus 'false' paper jam with the help of those that posted picturesNO THANKS to those that simply 'described' what they did to resolve things.  It's very frustrating reading someone's magical fix, seeing no pictures and reading someone's posting of printer component names as if we're HP technicians and can easily follow.

Anyhow...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7329603176_d9999e35ed_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7329604548_81611f98bb_c.jpg

As you can see on the 2nd picture, this is no space between the black spring housing and the black 'cog'.

To re-iterate, that space along that black 'cog' thing should be lubricated, then pushed back into the black spring-loaded housing's case.  When you use your finger to pull the housing's little handle back-n-forth, that space should separate from the black 'cog' a little but easily go back into it when you release the handle.  If it doesn't, this is probably the cause of the HP false paper jam error message. 

Seems like a design flaw, FiX iT HP!

HP Recommended

HP did fix it by discontinuing the 8500 line and coming out with the 8600 with all new innards including the cartridges.  It looks a lot different inside, it is much quieter and smoother, scans seem a lot faster, and overall a lot better behaved.   Only oddity is that once in a while it kind of takes itself offline.  But it seems far better desiged and built.  BTW, it no longer has a 'brick' external psu.  

HP Recommended

This post has taught me several things.

- There are people with legitimate grievances, who are innovative and genuinly helpful,  to the point of attempting a workaround prior to posting. Without them, I would never have discovered a temporary fix or even realized the cause of the problem.

- The paper jam issue is clearly, the result of a design flaw for which HP has no intention of offering a fix or a confession. Matter of fact HP clearly does not even address this problem as a possible culprit in it's troubleshooting tips; something that, if addressed, could save owners and users who do not stumble across this forum a lot of hearburn and hours of wasted time.

- HP talks the talk but does not walk the walk. Their solution to the problem is to junk the old printer and buy a new one,  yet in the latest models they cling to the corporate mantra of concern for the environment by the rhetoric of how "green"  HP is. It make the cynic think about HP's concern for the green in the corporate income statement.

My 8500 was just about to reach it's 2nd birthday. I tried oiling and fixing it twice but it was clear that the inevitable day of reckoning was near at hand. I paid $400 for mt 8500 printer and it worked spectacularly well until it died. I now have to disassemble it in small enough chunks for the garbage people to haul it off as there is no recycling program where I live. Had HP made the repair parts available I would have fixed it.

I went to my local Costco equivalent with the intent of changing brands but the 8600 was going for $175 so I succumbed. I am less bitter about the failure of the old printer which, less face it, happens. This of course plays right into HP's hands. Not only do I pay for a new printer but I have to dispose of spare consummables that I kept on hand.  I have always used original HP ink. I bought extra ink cartridges for my 8500, believing that this would keep the machine forever young. I might add that I am not operating a print shop but am a home user so my printer did not have to work very hard.

With the new 8600 I bought two spare sets of genuine cartridges which ironically cost more than the printer so I have no illusions about a long life for my 8600. Given that the product quality is so poor, in future, I will resort to refilling existing cartridges since I anticipate the 8600 will experience a component failure not long after the warranty ends so what is the point to baby the printer.

HP Recommended

So far I find the 8600 far superior to the 8500 with 1 exception.  The exception is that it eventually takes itself offline and needs to be power cycled by unplugging yet, and tech support does not seem to understand the problem.  I will get in touch with them soon to raise it again.

On the good side; no separate power brick, all new internally.  Much quieter, it actually worked right out of the box, mechanical parts seem much smoother and faster.  The impression I got is that this is a completely new design internally.  Even the web server is a lot cleaner.  They may not respond well on the 8500, but they clearly heard the complaints and redid the next model line.  And they even swapped the spare - unopened cartridges I'd bought for the 9500.

HP Recommended

same problem :

is there a solution

HP Recommended

So i found the black piece in two pieces in the bottom of the printer, so i put it back into one piece around the metal shaft with the black piece's grooves holding the white pieces with the spring behind them on each side, and now it just clicks and gives me the error message still!!!  It looks like the black gear is not engaging the white gear.  Can someone help me?IMAG0086.jpg

HP Recommended

Have the same probem.

My Printer is three years old, HP doesn't help.

Seems that I have to buy a new printer, very bad.

Surely it won't be a HP 'cause this seems to be a case of planned failure close after the warranty time.

To much money for such a short printer-life.

HP Recommended

On the lubrication issue;  WD 40 is not a good lube.  Try the 3-in-1 or better, use Tri-flow teflon spray.  Be stingy with the lube though because the paper dust will stick to the 3-in-1.  And there is a lot of paper dust generated by these things.

I've used a LOT of different HP printers, from 60" large format to small Office and Desk Jet printers and the 8500 is by far the most frustrating one to trouble shoot.

I rec'd a few of the 8500's from someone who was getting rid of them due to the paper jam errors.  I only wish I would've come across this topic earlier.  I ended up tossing most of them.  Did manage to get one or two of them to work.

HP is not actually in the printer business; they're in the INK business.  The printers cost very little.  Ink is where all the profit is.  So it is in their best intersts (one would think) to have a functioning printer so you could actually USE the ink and buy more.  Somewhere, someone didn't get that memo I guess.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.