Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

paper jam error message - HP Officejet 8500 pro - please help, deployed to M.E. no return option w/lovely HP

I have a month old HP Officejet 8500 Pro that is suddenly giving a paperjam error message.  There is no paper jam.  I've spoken with HP Tech Support at length doing resets even blowing the insides out with compressed air to no avail.  This must be a simple error.  I've seen it reported on other boards but it appears everyone is simply swapping out their printers.  Not an option as HP in their infinite wisdom will not replace a defective unit overseas.

I thought there was a paper feeder guide that hung down atop the paper input tray.  This is no longer hangin down... but perhaps I was wrong. If I tilt the printer backwards it will feed and eject a page, but not print.

If someone at HP would be so kind as to enlighten me I'd gladly do what's needed to, take it apart or whatever...

HELP... HELP... HELP...  THANKS...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Here is a link that will assist you.
http://goo.gl/vxhuH

It may be a sensor that has gone bad within the printer that's causing the message.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

174 REPLIES 174
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  I did all the online paper jam resolutions and there is no paper jam.  I turn the printer off and start all over again.  It makes a funny clicking sound for several seconds and then default to the paper jam error.  Sounds like something is broken.   I puchased this last August. 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my first printer.  It worked for 7 months before complete breakdown.  HP sent a replacement.  Second printer worked OK for two months and now I'm having the same problem intermittently, but so far the feeder arm is still down on the paper.   On my first printer I was unable to get the feeder arm down again once it moved up as you describe. 

Their tech support told me that: "Internal hardware errors like paper jam, carriage jam, ink system failure occurs due to power, if printer received high power, internal firmware will be corrupted. Although there is no paper stuck in the printer, error message will be displayed."    Seems like something beyond one's control. 

Sorry this isn't much help, but if you dare to try to fix it yourself, I think you'll have to get that feeder arm back down. 

I've also found that the problem occurs when I'm printing multiple pages.  Safer to do one at a time.  Good luck.  Stay Safe in M.E.

HP Recommended

Just had the same issue with my 8500 pro that I got just 60 days ago.  Tech had me plug directly into the wall then shut off and unplug from back of machine.  Hold down the # and 3 keys as you plug back into the back of machine.  Let it start booting up then release keys.  This is supposed to reset the machine.  It didn't work for me and they are sending me a new printer but I thought it might be worth you trying.  Your other option might be to send to a family member in the States and have them call in and get the replacement.  At least then you would have the printer here when you return from deployment.  Buy a cheaper one while you are there.  I can't believe that HP won't try to help out one of our servicemen by shipping the printer overseas since that's where they are probably made anyway!  Good Luck.

HP Recommended

You may have solved this now but this problem seems to be inherit to the HP design. I have it also after 6 months of operation.   I have downloaded the new firmware and it does not help.  I have found a  symptom of the problem is the arm does not drop down and the paper does not feed.  Then, loud clicking noises take place and a "out of paper" error happens.  Countless calls to HP does nothing to solve this.  One partial fix I tried after reading it here is to set your paper settings for " HP Premium Inkjet Paper" This seems to work but the printing is at a much slower rate.  Not a final fix. I have been trying to work with HP, but they are making it very difficult to stay with them.

HP Recommended

Did this problem get fixed as I was considering buying a HP 8500

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the paper jam problem occurs across HP's printers.  I have an L7590 (a noisy clunker) which I purchased a year ago and have steadiy had this problem.  At this moment paper jam is scrollng across the screen and the alert  light keeps flashing.  I just went through all the steps suggested in HP's online help but the problem persists.  When I turn it on the carriage noise starts up but then it just clicks, clicks and does not engage.  Ironically I bought this printer because my previous HP 5510  had similar problems.  My whole family bought HP printers but think I'm through with them; I'll try another brand..

HP Recommended

don't buy it.

I had the paper feed problem - now a paper jam message (with no paper jam) - and HP is not interested in my business.  I installed this on 1/22/2010 and after about 300 pages, it is unusable.  (and "out of warranty")  Ridiculous.  I have gone back and forth with HP over the past 3 weeks and I have no progress to report.  Sad.

Excellent history with 970 - 970Cse - 7310cxi - and coutless printers before that.  WHAT HAPPENED???

ok - done venting I think.

I don't know how to fix this - HP doesn't seem to know what to do besides replacing it with the same model that eventually has the same problem.  I will keep watching this in case there is real progress on this issue.  In the meantime, I fired up the 7310 and will NOT buy another HP unless I hear that they have their act back together.  (If they take too long, I'll go to Consumer Reports and pick the best printer there (non-HP))

Good Luck :generic:

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I thought I needed a new printhead because my printer suddenly was printing lines on the page.Spent the $50 on a new printhead, installed it, and now I get the paper jam message and lots of clunking and twanging. You'd think I'd have learned by now. This is probably my 8th HP printer in 15 years. Tha'ts ridiculous. It's the last HP printer I will ever buy. Poor service, Poor printers. Poor me.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem ... I worked through all of the trouble shooting steps ... there is no paper jam. The rollers are clean.  HP please address this issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.